Feeling deflated

mrssunshine78

Mammy at last
Reaction score
I'm ebf my 13 week old baby, but she has dropped 2 centiles since birth, and has only gained 1.5lb in the last 5 weeks, I don't feel like this is enough, health visitor said her weight gain is fine. I'm not sure if it's normal for babies to only gain so little? My other little girl was bf too, but she gained a lot more, but she only weighed 4lb12oz when she was born, so not sure if that's why she gained so well? I just feel like I'm doing a terrible job and that my milk isn't good enough for her :cry:

Sorry if I've rambled on a bit.

I think my LO's weight gain started to slow quite a bit around 2 months. Two percentiles isn't a whole lot and if your HV isn't worried I'd try not to worry yourself.

How much did she weigh when she was born and how much does she weigh now?

She was 8lb5oz born and is now 11lb6oz, I know I shouldn't worry I just expected her to gain faster.

If the health visitor isn't worried, then that's good. If she's gaining, albeit slowly, then that's good. If she's hitting milestones, then that's good. Percentiles are a guide to help identify babies in need of extra help-they're not gospel.

If you are worried, try and encourage more frequent feeds and make sure she's draining each breast efficiently. Is her poo nice and yellow mostly? Are her nappies wet? Is she content after a feed (mostly)? Are there any warning signs you feel are being ignored, or is it simply the scales worrying you?

My son was 9lb 3 at birth on the 91st centile, he then lost weight & didn't go back to birth weight until just over 3 weeks old, 75th centile. He has slowly gone down and is now on the 25th centile, he's 13lb at 14 weeks old. So he's not even gained 4lb since birth.

I know how you're feeling. My daughter was 16lb at his age :( xxxx

It is just the scales that are bothering me, she's doing really well and hitting milestones. I think she's emptying each breast, she doesn't feed for very long, but is mainly content between feeds and feeds every 2-3 hours during the day. Because she was a good weight at birth I just thought she was going to be a bigger baby. Guess I should stop stressing.

She sounds like my youngest. She was born 8lb 4oz, hardly lost any weight, but dropped down to just between the 9th & 25th centile (from the 75th at birth) by two months old. She's stayed there ever since - at 2.5 she's a petite little girl, so she was just meant to be little :)

That all sounds good, then. Try and concentrate on the positives. She might ping back up through the percentiles and she might not. As long as she's otherwise healthy. You're doing fine :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->