Feeling frustrated and down...

Peanut78

Mum of 2
Reaction score
It's been a week now, I have been trying to feed my son baby rice once a day and it is not at all going well or improving. He just lets it sit in his mouth until it eventually dribbles out. I have tried making the porridge thicker, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. It doesn't seem to be the "tongue thrust reflex" as his tongue doesn't do anything.... He just doesn't do anything basically (except for look at me blankly, or put his fist in his mouth) :shrug:

He has never been a massive eater and even making sure he takes enough milk has always been a bit of a challenge (for example he will rarely take more than 5 oz of milk at a time).... Now I feel like his not eating will just get worse.

DH has gone to Haiti for an unknown amount of time so am stuck at home alone with a baby who won't feed. It's really getting me down :cry:

Does anyone have any tips or advice....? Is this normal?

Hello,

Sorry to hear you are feeling down, I had the same problem with my DD, she did not like baby rice at all so I tried her on jar baby food and she seemed to like it more. I tried creamy porridge from a jar. She got used to the texture and taste so then I tried her on fruity porridge and she now likes that too. I think she found the baby rice a bit bland.

My baby refuses to be fed from a spoon. It may be this, rather than what it on the spoon, that is the problem. At 6 months babies are wanting to have a go at doing things for themselves, so what about offering finger foods instead? Take a look at the BLW support sticky for help :)

My baby refuses to be fed from a spoon. It may be this, rather than what it on the spoon, that is the problem. At 6 months babies are wanting to have a go at doing things for themselves, so what about offering finger foods instead? Take a look at the BLW support sticky for help :)

It could be what Claire has said, it could also be that baby rice is incredibly plain and boring :shrug: I personally would suggest trying BLW as babies love to try stuff for themselves, or try something with more flavour

Perhaps he is still not ready for solids. Sam wasn't ready until about 7 months and he now eats everything. I can remember people telling me he needed solids but he just wasn't ready. Maybe stop trying for a few days and then offer him some again.

morgan lasted 3days on rice, he hated it , cos he LOVES his first bottle so for the past mth hes been having dinner instead and loves it he has anything that will go in the blender lol x

Have you tasted baby rice - its awful! I tried it with Izzy and she was not at all keen, and its cos it taste so bland, I feel it has a horrible feel to it too!

There is no reason to start on rice at all - have you considered something else porridge - there are some flavoured one, Izzy has blueberry, and tropical fruit, there is banana too. They have nice taste and feel better than slop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->