Feeling neglected by my midwife/consultant..

C

Ceejay123

My first son stopped growing when I was in my early third trimester, so this time I was told I'd be watched like a hawk as I was a high risk pregnancy. High risk due to the growth issues, bleeding until 24 weeks and an irritable uterus. I also am pre-eclampsia watch .

I didn't find out I was pregnant until I was 10 weeks via blood test. I had an appointment at 14 weeks with my consultant, and the nhs scan at the same time. I then had a 20 week scan and a 25 week midwife appointment, so three appointments so far including scans. (I'm 27 weeks).

Im supposed to have my first growth scan next week at 28 weeks, I've also been seeing my gp weekly due to an irritable uterus, taking multiple painkillers constantly each day and had intermittent bleeding up until 3 weeks ago. :dohh: my gp requested that my consultant see me at 20 weeks as they were concerned about my blood pressure rising (causes the growth issues my son had) and the amount of pain im in and medication I'm taking. I've been signed off work for 7 weeks now, I've asked to go back but the medication I'm on makes it dangerous to travel. However my consultant said he couldn't see me and to wait until jan.

I was planning on complaining about my care from my consultant anyway, I've been very anxious about the issues with my first pregnancy, crying weekly about it. Now, this morning.. I receive a letter saying he's cancelled my scan and consultant appointment and postponed it by ten days! I'm supposed to be scanned at 28 weeks to compare against my 30 week one and make sure he's still growing, not at 30 weeks.

I'm feeling very upset. Do I have to just suck it up and deal with it or can I complain that I need this appointment? X

I should add my GP has been brilliant, but is getting frustrated that I'm not being watched. He tried to send me to the hospital for my blood pressure rising a few weeks ago, but the consultant refused. Reason being that I still have a 'normal' blood pressure. (Which isn't the point, as I've been told by every other midwife and consultant I've ever seen). My usual bp and booking bp is low.. 97/57 when I booked. At my last appointment with my GP it was 128/76 and a few days before that 133/82.. So it's very high for me, which can cause the growth problems my son had x

That really isn't good enough at all and yes I would be considering making a complaint by now. I'm really not sure what to advise except that if you feel ill get yourself off to a&e. That would at least force them to see you sooner x

I would be complaining, get on the phone and demand to be seen, or even better get your midwife to do so.
The whole point of them taking your blood pressure at each appointment even early on is see what's normal for you so to just say it's fine is just wrong.
Xx

That doesn't seem good enough at all. I know that you can request to change midwife fairly easily, I wonder is the same true for a consultant? If so it might be worth requesting. I think I would definitely send an email or a letter about your concerns. I think a lot of hospitals have some sort of patient representative group, that is how my friend complained when she was unhappy with her care in hospital. Could you ask your GP to call the hospital and put through an urgent referral for you to be seen? It might make a difference.

Thanks ladies, nice to know I'm not over reacting.
I'm seeing the gp in the morning - I'll let you know what she says. I'm really upset because this will push back all of my growth scans by a week which could be life and death if the same were to happen.

In regards to my bp - does anyone know if this sounds like it's to do with blood pressure issues? A few times a day, my veins pop up everywhere. I go really warm and look as though I've spent an hour at the gym- blood flow going crazy. I have pictures, I have thick green veins all over x

I would definitely think that could be bp related and I'd be concerned about that.
Xx

Yeah I would be concerned about that too Ceejay. Hope you are ok as you didn't update yesterday xx

Hi ladies, sorry I've not updated.

My gp was furious that they've moved back my appointment. It turns out the hospital had my due date wrong.. So they amended it to make me 28 weeks in their eyes as it's 'very important' that they monitor growth from then. We told them of their mistake (gp called them) they were very apologetic but now the clinic is completely full this week. So I won't be seen until 29 weeks regardless!

My gp was concerned about my blood pressure and lack of movement, but consultants secretary simply said to wait and see in 2 weeks. Feeling very frustrated. My consultant did however schedule me another midwife appointment for this week to measure me again and ease my anxiety a little.

I've now been signed off for another 7 weeks until I start maternity and given lots more painkillers!

On a positive note, little mites christening is booked! X

At least something is being done, if you are worried about movement you can go and get monitored anytime xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->