Feeling scared and guilty

I was very scared at first, but asked a ton of questions so that I understood the machines as well as the nurses and even took down the model numbers and looked up more information online. I even scheduled time with the Dr to see what they were looking for on the monitors and what constituted an 'issue' and what was considered 'normal' as well as what steps needed to be taken to 'fix' any issue. Once I did this I am confident and comfortable anytime I hear an alarm that I know what is causing it and what I can do to fix it. My LO doesn't have respiratory or heart rate issues so I can usually just ignore the alarms, but just need to check her probes as she is good at taking them off. The biggest one I have to watch for is her IV alarm because she keeps trying to pull it out like she has done with every other wire she has had (she took herself off oxygen, off the feeding tube and off the CPaP). They even restrained her arms to try to keep the feeding tube in and she figured out how to use her tongue to get it out so they finally tried her on the nipple (albeit 2 weeks earlier than they wanted to) and she fed like a champ. Sometimes I think the babies know better than the Drs.

Superb news honey really happy u are now at home I get my section on Tuesday fx'd she does as well

XXx

Congratulations on the birth of your little girl.

Neonatal is scary especially all the alarms but you do get used to them. The respiratory monitor is the most unreliable and in our neonatal they used to count their breaths instead. The oxygen reading would also go all over the place when your lo moves about a lot. When the alarms go off look at your baby as that will give you the best idea.

Good luck xx

I completely agree. The nurses said that if the monitors go off just look at the baby, if he/she is breathing and moving just fine then give it a moment, another thing to watch is if the lines are consistent, if its really up & down it means its not getting a good reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->