Feeling unsure of midwife?

Mrs Dragonfly

Raising our toddler
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just overreacting but I'm beginning to feel insecure with my midwives. I've had a few random spikes of high bp so they did labs and all were fine. But as pregnancy progresses my regular bp is working it's way up. Yesterday I went in for an ultrasound and NST and it was all beautiful, but my bp was high (139/87) so an ob came in and discussed how he was going to contact my midwives because he's concerned over where my bp was sitting. On top of that I've had headaches all week that just don't go away, swelling that's gotten worse and rib pains. Although I have pains on both sides of my ribs the left just feel bruised as to where the right feels stabby. Maybe it's bruised too, LO's kicks are getting pretty crazy. And I've been having floaters they've been monitoring for a while, the last couple of days they've gotten worse but that could be stress.

ANYWAY. They did labs again yesterday because the ob pushed for them, the midwife called me back saying they were "within normal range" and that I should relax.

I hate this "normal range" crap. Up until a few weeks ago my bp has been in the 110/60's and now I'm in the high 120/80-139/80's and this is considered normal? Am I over reacting and looking too much into it?

No absolutely not overreacting at all, last pregnancy my bp was averaging 110/65-120/70 until a bit later on it went to 135 but the bottom number stayed around 70-75.
They need to look at it again and compare with your previous and booking bp.
Xx

I don't think you're overreacting at all. Your BP is nothing to mess with, especially since you've been having headaches and swelling. Try contacting them again about it and just be persistent, or maybe try contacting the OB if they still just kind of shake it off, as he did seem a bit more concerned.

Thank you ladies! I got a bit crabby and feel bad about it but the midwife has decided to do a 24 hour urine catch and schedule me for another NST/PIH depending how that goes. It's such a relief to know they're going to start watching closer because I was getting upset that I was being passed over.

That's good, will you get further bp monitoring?
Xx

There's a pharmacy near our home that will take our bp so I'm supposed to go in the mornings to see how I'm looking. They'll be checking it themselves when I return my collected urine on Friday morning.

If you have reason to worry, you have reason to worry. I completely agree with the 24 hr urine catch (super annoying - sorry you have to do it!), though I wanted to offer some peace of mind, too.

My BP started rising in the last few weeks of pregnancy, too, and my numbers all looked pretty similar to yours. I had INSANE swelling for most of the pregnancy, and when the headaches started coming, too, I thought for sure I had pre-e. Turns out I was just stressed and my body was just retaining water. We had a completely normal delivery and baby to show for it! Really, really hoping something similar turns out for you, though again, I'm glad you're getting it all checked out. Only a few more days for the both of us!! :happydance:

Thank you for sharing your story with me! It makes me feel some relief to know you can have all the symptoms but have it just be stressed. Thankfully I haven't been swollen up until this week and it's not as bad as I've seen friends have.

Friday I go in for a follow up with my midwife and they want me to do another NST and PIH afterward. My midwife made me laugh, she said "or you could just go into labor already and we can get past this" I wish I could call her and say I was in labor! I wonder if they would attempt a sweep right now?

We're almost there!! MIL told me there's a full moon this weekend so maybe we'll get lucky :)

I was completely surprised - my MW offered to sweep me, today!! I was like, "oh please oh please oh please!!" Lol, here I still sit in all my pregnant glory. We'll see if I can seduce DH and get things going that way...

What! I'm so jealous! I asked my midwife if they would do a sweep last week and they said not until 40 weeks. But with the pain I've been in and the bp still going up maybe they'll do it Friday...

I hope things get moving for you soon! Maybe tomorrow it'll move along :) What did the sweep feel like? Was it painful and did you cramp really bad after?

I've been swept before by an OB and cried a little both times, but only winced a little when my midwife did it, yesterday. I thought, "geez... She's being kind of rough, today?" When she saw my face she stopped and said, "I'm sweeping. You wanted me to sweep, right??" I completely forgot I told her to!! Pregnant brain is making me dizzy, haha.

I guess it just depends on who's doing it, but either way, it wasn't ever horrible. I cramp for a little while after and have lots of pelvic floor pressure, but that's about it. Then again, my body doesn't take to them very well... Maybe you'll have better luck!

Yikes, that's scary that when the OB did it that it was so painful to cry! Lol about forgetting that you asked the midwife to do the sweep.

The cramps would be totally worth it if it brings baby out!:haha:

Hope the BP turns out to be nothing , but definitely not worth messing around with. Thinking of you!

always better to be safe than sorry, if you are not sure or happy about something, always ask and keep nagging until you are!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->