Fellow Runners - Advice Please

Rachie004

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm doing my first half marathon next Sunday. I've done what I feel to be enough training but I'm starting to panic as the last few days I have felt really fatigued in myself, sore legs/muscles, tired etc.

I feel like I should be out enjoying my last few runs before the big day but I've been trying to take it easy because of how I feel. Should I still go out and run the next couple of days, I was planning on taking it easy due to tapering etc with my last easy run planned for Thursday. It's unknown territory for me :wacko:

Does anyone have any advice? Thank you xx

Hey!
Ok, I would do maybe 2 more runs (easy ones - max 5k) and book in for a sports massage :)
I've done 6 half marathons and 1 full one - that's what I'd do :)
Make sure to get enough carbs over the next week too.
Good luck with the GNR. That was my first half marathon too. It's a brilliant run but very very busy.
Enjoy!! :)
xx

5k seems such a short distance now, to think that used to be my benchmark :p I had planned a 7-8 mile, an interval session and a 4 mile run but do you think I'm better off curtailing at two 5ks?

I'm really looking forward to it, I'm a tad nervous about John Reid road as everyone says that is the worst bit but my charity has a cheering point at mile 12 so I think that will probably get me through.

I'm planning a carb fest this week, I'm having my last treat of some red wine this evening with some cheese and biscuits then I'm all about the carbs for the rest of the week and no more drinking!

Thank you so much for your reply :) xx

Yeah, that sounds too much to me. It's all about resting and saving your energy this week! 5k will be a breeze for you.
One thing I did do, the day before my best ever half marathon, was an easy 1 mile jog around the block. It just loosened my legs off a bit.
I know you probably already know all this, but...
Don't eat anything new just before the race incase it disagrees with you.
Don't run in any clothes/trainers/socks you've not already run in.
Don't eat or drink anything new during the race.
Enjoy it!!! :)
Which charity are you running for?
Are you hoping for a certain time?
xx

Thank you again for the fabby advice! I did read in one of my running magazines (runners world or women's running, one of those) to have a little jaunt out the day before just to loosen myself off and give myself a little confidence boost that yes I CAN run without falling over :p

I bought myself some new trainers a couple of months ago but I'm not convinced by them so I'm sticking to my trusty old ones, usual kit etc. I've been very aware to 'test' out my bits and bobs during my training ie my 'special' socks, gels, jelly beans, drinks, even things like how to wear my hair for minimal annoyance :p

I'm hoping for a time that is sub 2 hours but I'm mainly going to go out and hopefully enjoy it. I've been raising money in aid of Stillbirth and Neonatal Death charity, SANDS, I've exceeded my target and I still have the promise of sponsorship from a few others, I've been amazed by the generosity that people have displayed :)

You sound really well prepared! You'll be fantastic :)
Well done on raising money for such a worthwhile cause too.
There are a couple of bottle necks along the way - I think the first one is around the 1m marker.
Oh! Also, you could be waiting to cross the start line for ages so, if you can, get a rubbishy old hoody or jacket from a charity shop to keep you warm while you're stood around. You can take it off and leave it once you cross the start. They normally round up all the clothes and dornate them xx

Thank you again!

I went to the gym today and did 5km on a random incline programme, the highest incline was only 1.5. My lord, plodding on a treadmill is just so boring compared to being out on the road - I think I had forgotten as I only tend to use the treadmill for intervals.

I'm worried about getting in other runners way or them getting in mine. Thank you for the tip on the extra layer of clothing, I need to go for a rummage through the wardrobe for something old - I'm reluctant to throw away my 'decorating' fleece even though it is covered in plaster, paint and whatever else, it's really snuggly :blush: I'm sure I'll find something - good idea about perhaps going to a charity shop, I wouldn't have thought of that!

I'm just trying to sort the music on my ipod out to have a playlist for the day (I'm only planning on wearing one earphone) but I find itunes to be impossible!

Let the carb fest continue nom nom nom :p xx

It was awesome :) It felt like I was flying - it was just amazing.

I didn't think the course was challenging at all. I got to the 10k mark and I thought 'yes, this is easy, I'm going this'. Coming over the hill at mile 12 was fantastic, I let out a yell and shouted 'it's the sea!'

I'm thrilled with my time, I think I probably could have done it sub 1:50 but I got snarled up at a few of points behind slow runners/people getting water. I thought I would scrape in under 2 hours at 1:57/1:58 but I did it in 1:52 :D

I've raised over £400s so far and I know there is more to come so I'm just thirlled. It was a wonderful experience, bit sore today but it was just wonderful :D

Well done, you! That's fantastic :) I'm so pleased you loved it xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->