Femur bone measuring few days behind at 17weeks

Sonia1992

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm natural worrier and I have new problem now. I have nt scan at 12 weeks, everything was perfect, nt was 1,4mm, nasal bone present etc. Few days ago i had a scan at 17w0d from LMP but my baby always measured few days behind, so it was 16w4d. Everythong measured perfect (bdp, hc, ac) but femur bone lenght was like for 15w5days, so 6 days behind. My gyn said it's ok, but I came back home and strated googling. It could be synptom for DS. I can't stop worry now:( help!
Sorry gor my english, it's not my language.

Did you have the blood test for trimsons 13/18 if it came back low risk then bubba might just have smaller legs then body but might catch up at 17 weeks is early for a 20 week scan so ask for another scan at 20 weeks maybe im sure everything is fine im currently having issues with baby having a small hc being lower then the 5th centil but all else seems to be growing normal got a growth scan booked for a weeks time just to see if it was babys position hopefully your bean might have just been laying in a awkward position xx

No i didn't have blood test. It's not standard here in Poland. It was not 20weeks scan, i will have my 20week scan at the end of april. I have scans every three weeks, it's normal in Poland. We don't have only 3scans like in Endgland. My gyn is not concerned at all and I wasn't either, but I freaked out when I found that it could be symptom for DS. I hope that our beans are healthy :(

Our 1st had short legs on scans. Doctors said it was still in the normal range but I was a bit worried because she was a big baby and the rest of her measurements were at the top of the scale. It turned out she just had short legs. At almost 5 she still has short legs. The doctors usually err on the side of caution with those things so if they are not worried it's likely fine. Like grown ups babies come in different shapes of sizes.

At my 20 week scan it showed baby was bang on for everything apart from his legs which were a week behind, when I asked my midwife she said his legs might be the next to go through a growth spurt or the measurements might be out as even 1 or 2mm makes a big difference.

Oh, that's really reassuring. Thanks! I overanalyze everything and worry about everything!

Both of my children had short legs and arms on the ultrasounds. This actually persisted through the entire pregnancy with my son's growing up to 10 days behind his gestational age and my daughter's 6 days.

They are both healthy with no problems. Although my son is really short for his age. :haha:

Both of my children had short legs and arms on the ultrasounds. This actually persisted through the entire pregnancy with my son's growing up to 10 days behind his gestational age and my daughter's 6 days.

They are both healthy with no problems. Although my son is really short for his age. :haha:

That's not problem for me. I'm short too:haha:
Was your gyn concerned about it?

my oldest measured with short femurs (2 weeks behind) on his 20 week scan. it was an imaging center, not my ob who did the scan. They sent me to a high risk doctor a month later to be rescanned and that doctor didnt know why they had sent me. A femur measurement alone (according to him) doesn't tell you much/anything at all. It's in conjunction with other bone measurements running small that you may start looking for things. He also said to keep in mind that these are really small measurements. One tech might measure one thing and another tech be slightly different but that slight difference moves the measurement by days/week. Likely all is fine but it will be good to be rescanned in a few weeks. My LO had caught up on his measurements after that month between scans and is now in the 90th percentile for his hight (he turns 4 tomorrow). Best of luck!

my oldest measured with short femurs (2 weeks behind) on his 20 week scan. it was an imaging center, not my ob who did the scan. They sent me to a high risk doctor a month later to be rescanned and that doctor didnt know why they had sent me. A femur measurement alone (according to him) doesn't tell you much/anything at all. It's in conjunction with other bone measurements running small that you may start looking for things. He also said to keep in mind that these are really small measurements. One tech might measure one thing and another tech be slightly different but that slight difference moves the measurement by days/week. Likely all is fine but it will be good to be rescanned in a few weeks. My LO had caught up on his measurements after that month between scans and is now in the 90th percentile for his hight (he turns 4 tomorrow). Best of luck!
Thanks! I have scans every 3weeks, because in Poland we can have as much as we want (good thing).-my ob told me the same, that femur lenght in isolation doesn't mean much. I hope that he will catch up too!

Yes with every scan his legs have measured a week or two behind. Ultrasound techs and midwife said everything looked perfect and there are no risk factors for Down syndrome, so I stopped worrying about it. I believe ultrasound imaging isn’t an exact science, so although it is very good for catching potential issues early, there are other things that measure ahead or behind and it doesn’t really mean anything.

Thomas and Sophie both had short thigh bones in scans. Thomas has a long torse and shorter legs, Sophie is just really short.

Emma's always measured long, but she's very proportional and I wouldn't say she had long legs at birth.

That's not problem for me. I'm short too:haha:
Was your gyn concerned about it?

Nope, this was never brought up as a concern.

This happened with my first son I wAs told he had little legs I’m 5foot 2 so thought he was following me but at 9 years old he’s almost 5 foot not so little after all

Thanks, i'm trying not to worry. I'm waiting for next scans and hope that my baby will catch up.

I would like to update for anybody who will worry like me. I had a scan two days ago and my baby's legs grew like for 3weeks during 2weeks! And now femur lenght is almost perfect for her GA:) legs now are even "bigger" than her head!

I was the opposite at my 16+2 week scan her head and stomach was measuring 15+5 and her legs 16+5!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->