Fertility

susan_1981

Mummy to 2 boys :)
Reaction score
I was just watching that Sex Education show on C4 and it just made me wonder, this is potentially a really stupid question, but do fertility problems run in families? The reason I think this is likely to be a silly question is because obviously my mum got pregnant with me and my brothers and sister. But some ppl do struggle to get pregnant but do eventually and I was just wondering if this is something that can be inherited? If it is, I think I'm fortunate because none of my family seem to have problems making babies, except my sister. She took a year to conceive but I think that was because she had a cyst on her ovary. Anyone have any ideas on this?

I have just watched that as well, I think we would only have a problem if mums went through the menopause early!:cry:

I think mine went through hers at about 54 so I have 28 years left, although probably 18 because they said 10 years before you go through the menopause, you are unlikely to conceive. If I haven't had a baby within 18 years, I think I will be known as the cat lady!!

Hi who said 10 years before you are unlikely to conceive? Was that on the documentary? I hope not because my mum was only about 12 years older than I am now!x

I think it can be...it tokk my mom well over a year with her first, and took my sister one and a half years (and a cycle of Clomid). We all have had very painful AF, and I found out I have Endo, so maybe that is hereditary?

Yes I saw it too.

My mum started her periods really early and I started late - so not sure if it always holds true that we will go through the menopause at the same time.

Suppose it might give you a clue though.

My mom started her period early and struggled to concieve, it her 2 years to get me and then she had my sister 2 years later who died while premature birth and then many miscarriages before my brother came along!

This scares me alot!!

Wow...your mum had a tough time.

I was quite worried by that programme last night actually. The emphasis on us being too old once 35 onwards...

I am sure its fine to worry the youngsters in to ttc a bit earlier, but for those of us who are already trying, it just added more stress!!

Hi who said 10 years before you are unlikely to conceive? Was that on the documentary? I hope not because my mum was only about 12 years older than I am now!x

There was a woman on the show that said that 10 years before you go for the menopause, you will find it harder to get pregnant. Can't remember the reason for it, something like because your body is gearing up towards it.

Its called per-menopause ( i think). You hit it roughly about 10 years about the onset of the menopause. Its like mentioned above..however instead of gearing up for it, its sadly more as winding down. For instance, the fsh test they do to test fertility in women basically tells you whether your follicle stimulating hormone levels are elevated. If your fertility is on a downward slope they will be as you keep on producing more and more of this hormone to get your ovaries and thus egg realeasing follicles to do your bidding.

I felt really crap when watching that..although its not news to me. But im sick of the doom and gloom. Yes, i know many people have fertility issues these days but just have a look on here and you will see its not all 'us saddo's who decided our careers were more important', that are having to wait to get pg.

And by the way, no. Im not the above saddo and neither is anyone elso on here, i bet!

In any case...chin up ladies. We'll do it!!!

I think it can be...it tokk my mom well over a year with her first, and took my sister one and a half years (and a cycle of Clomid). We all have had very painful AF, and I found out I have Endo, so maybe that is hereditary?

Hi
I don't know about fertility problems in general but endo can run in families. It's not hereditary as such, but familial (I think that's the right term). Having said that, I do think my mum might have had endo.

From the sounds of it i'm glad i didn't see the show. It would probably have upset me
x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"