FET One or Two?

MMW430

Reaction score
My DH and I did our first ivf cycle in 2013, and transferred one embryo, which resulted in our son. We're gearing up to do another cycle in July, and met with the doctor today. We have 5 frozen blasts. She asked how many we want to transfer, one or two. I'm feeling very conflicted.

On the one hand, if we transfer two, she seems fairly confident we will have at least one baby no matter what. But she also said the potential for twins is there. I just don't know if I would be thrilled with twins. It seems so overwhelming.

On the other hand, if we only transfer one, and it fails, we'll have to do another cycle and pay for another one. We're paying for everything on our own.

Has anyone transferred just one and been successful? Am I making a mistake in leaning towards just transferring one?

Hi, I transferred one and had first time success with fet, fets are meant to be more successful than fresh also due to less medications in your body after a fresh cycle so that could be something to bear in mind as your chances could be higher anyway, ive also read that there isn't much more chance of success with 2 rather than 1 so if your worried about twins I would got for 1
Ive got 7 frosties and for my next fet I know ill just transfer 1 again as I would be too worried about the risks of twins as im such a worrier!
Good luck with what you decide x

My clinic will only transfer 1 unless you are over 35 or have had multiple failed transfers/cycles. Our FS said, the aim is to get people to have successful, healthy pregnancies and to take a baby home with them. With multiples, your risk factors go up dramatically during pregnancy and with the babies, so 1 is a lot safer for everyone involved.

We paid for all our cycles and rounds ourselves from our savings so cost was definitely a big factor with us too. That was probably the most scary thing... how much would we have to spend to have children?!?!

We had 1 failed fresh transfer and then a miscarriage at 5 weeks after another fresh transfer. Our first medicated FET resulted in our daughter and our second medicated FET we are now pregnant with baby number 2. For us, our FETs were a 100% success rate. Our fertility nurse also mentioned to us that some people will only ever fall pregnant on FETs as they are a lot easier on our bodies with less medications, etc.

I could not imagine twins. There is also a chance 1 embryo can split too. 1 is definitely enough at a time for us. After seeing my mum have triplets via IVF... it definitely took the 'cuteness' out of multiples pretty fast.

Wishing you all the best! :hugs:

If we go through with donor embryo FET ( still on the fence) , I will have 2 transfered , twins dont scare me other the the increased risks with multiples and risk I may not carry to term, but we want at least one to stick. I am older and it will give us the best odds at a baby. good luck with your FET.

I really think we're leaning towards just one. I'm currently 27, and the embryos were created when I was 25. They all made it to blast, and are good quality. I think if we didn't already have our son, I'd feel differently about multiples. I'm hoping since one worked the first time, one will work the second time. Then again, we're not transferring until July because I have to have either a SIS, or hysteroscopy done first, next month. So, I'm sure I'll change my mind 30 times before then. 😊

Our son is the result of a single FET! When we tried for number two a couple months ago, we did an elective single transfer (early m/c unfortunately). We thought the same thing as you: we'd be fine with multiples for our first, but would prefer not to have twins with a toddler running around. Plus, I was on bedrest with our son for pre-term labor, so didn't want another high-risk pregnancy if possible. We also pay out of pocket, so cost is definitely a consideration. Since you're concerned about multiples, I'd seriously consider an elective SET. It sounds like you have an excellent chance of a pregnancy with the great embryos you have frozen. Good luck!

Hi!

We had a fresh round in Oct 2013, which resulted in our now 10 month old son and we have just undergone a FET, following which I am now 9 weeks pregnant. We opted to put just one back in. The chance of twins at our clinic if you put two blastocysts back in is over 60%. Given I already have a young child, and knowing how hard having one was, I would much rather just have one again this time round. We are also paying for all of our treatment ourselves. Good luck!

Hey I have just had my fet today.

I was in exactly the same dilemma as you. We have 3 blasts frozen. Two together (one good one borderline quality) and one good one on its own.
I was lucky in that I caught first time on a fresh cycle with my now 16m daughter.

The des advised all three get thawed and see how they coped - as my clinic had a 70% success rate in thawing, so on average one wouldn't make it.
But all three made it, so they were left to develop further this morning before transfer.

When we got the clinic the borderline one remained borderline and hadn't really developed much more, so the drs said it was no good.
The two good quality ones continued to develop well.

I couldn't have said that I only wanted one and discard the left over. So I put both back in. Their rate of success for fet is about the same as a fresh cycle atm, around 50% so hopefully one will stick.

Yes twins scare the hell out of me, but we'll cope and have great family around us who are mode than willing to help out!

What I do find freaky my daughter was put inside me on the 25/05/13. These eggs are her "twins" and they could be born on the same date in theory.

Every day I would swing from one to the other do I don't I. But ultimately it depends on how many eggs you have frozen, how they are frozen, your circumstances, and what the drs say. Then you and only you can make that decision.

If these don't work, we have decided we are done with ivf totally. Our daughter was our miracle and to have her was beyond our wildest dreams. If we get another couple of bundles then we'll have a lot of shuffling to do - how I have no idea at the moment - but we'll figure it out!!

I am battling with the same choice as you and trying to decide if I should transfer 1 or 2 embryos for my upcoming FET cycle. I have 3 frozen embryos and I have 2 year old twins from my first IVF cycle. My twins are a lot to handle and did come early at 28 wees so they both had lengthy NICU stays so I only really want 1 baby this time around. However like you I am paying for the FET cycle myself and I want it to be a success the first time. I can't afford to redo it! Good luck with whatever you decide! It has been helpful to read other people's thoughts on this so I am hoping more people will post their thoughts on this.

I did 2 embryos in Fet in March and it didn't take despite perfect everything. I transferred 1 embryo may 22 and I'm pregnant! Only transfer what you are willing to handle. Twins sound delightful but there are so many risk to carrying them and more issues potentially after birth esp if the come early. The "chances" aren't increased putting back 1 vs 2; only the chances for multiples are increased. But do what you and dh are comfortable with. Good luck!

That's amazing news, MoBaby! Congratulations! I hope we all join you soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->