Few questions for those with babies at nursery

Linzi

Prodest mummy ever
Reaction score
Im really nervous about it :( I still have a couple of months before Seth starts but Im dreading it. Ive had panic attacks the past 2 nights just thinking about it which is really ridiculous. Ive left him before for an evening but never really more than a few hours, its just the thought of leaving him with someone who we dont know. And (even more silly than that) I dont want him to forget who his mum is. He's going to be there from 8am til 530pm, have 3 meals and all his naps and most of his milk feeds there. The only thing Im going to be doing is giving him a bottle before bed. I really feel like Im being pushed out but I have no choice but to go back to work.

Just was wondering a few things?

1) How old was your LO when they started nursery?
2) How long did it take them to settle into nursery and were they upset all day when you left them?
3) What kind of preperation as there before they started? i.e. leaving them for a couple of hopurs with the nursery to settle them in
4) How long did it take you to not feel upset about leaving?

xxx
xxx

I still feel abit upset leaving Olivia at Nursery, After all they are our babies and they arent babies long are they.

However, I know that she is in safe hands, Olivia loves nursery & to me I think its really important that she gets the social interaction with other children. Olivia was 8-9 months when she started Nursery and we had a 3 taster sessions first of all. An hour where I was there on her first visit and then another 2 where I wasnt.

I too was worried about her perhaps forgetting who we were but its not like that at all. When I get to nursery to pick her up and she spots me she comes chasing over to the door and starts giggling etc.

Olivia is in full days so she too has breakfast, lunch & dinner at Nursery, by the time I got back home we have an hour or so to have a little play together, bath time and into bed.

x

The kids started nursery on the 1st december

Rhys screams when i take him in but the second i leave he stops, the screaming is just a big show for me to feel bad. but at least i know it is!
Ffion has been wonderful, she loves it and settled in from day 1.

both the kids have a great time, they have plenty of playtime and eat nutrious home made meals.

im sure seth will be fine!

Thank you girls :) Its just such a scary thought. I just want to go to sleep and wake up when the first day is over lol

xxx

Charlie was 4 and a half months old. He settled in straight away - it was me that struggled. I left him for 3 hour-long sessions before he started fulltime. Then he started fulltime on the Thursday before I went back work on the Monday, so at least I could drop everything and go and get him if there was a problem in the first 2 days.

He still goes to the same nursery, and loves it. He'll be going there until he's 4 and starts big school.

It took a while for it to not affect me hun, so don't expect miracles.:hugs: I went back work full-time in the February, but had to change to part-time in the November after having 2 months off with stress. 3 days a week suits me much better, although we are really struggling financially. It's a balancing act.

Good luck hun, and remember, it'll take time, so don't expect too much too soon.:hugs:

Well, I work 2 days a week in a nursery for my college placement, so I guess I see it from the other side. I work in the baby room with the youngest at the mo being 5 months old, and the oldest 2[twins]are 14 months.

Basically, the average age for children starting at nursery where I am is about 8 months I would say, so probably the same as as Seth will be. We find that if you leave it until they are much older they find it more difficult to adjust to being left. The oldest in the room still cry when their parent's leave, however, the youngest has never been particularly bothered and is all smiles, all day!

Normally, we find that it takes a few sessions for the babies to get used to being left, but they are worse with the tears when their parent's are still there. Usually, a couple of minutes after the parent's leave, baby will settle and have a good day playing, and chatting away in their own little languange.
Nurseries never mind you ringing up and checking on how your little one is whenever you want. We have a little boy who has been there 6 months, and his Mum still rings every day to check up on him. So it really isn't something they bother about at nurseries. If this helps you, then you do it. It's important for you to be happy as much as it is for your baby to be happy! :hugs:

Where I am, they generally have 2 1hr sessions before the baby starts to get them used to being left, but they also begin to realise that Mummy or Daddy is coming back for them and they haven't just been left. It also gets the baby used to the staff, and the staff used to the baby.
We have a routine sheet, which needs filling in before the baby starts, and the nursery stick by this routine as much as possible. I'm not sure about other nurseries though, I'm just going by mine!

I can't answer the last question, as I've never had a child in nursery yet.

Hopefully, everything goes well for you and Seth and it's a positive experience for you both! xx

That's lovely to see it from an insiders point of view, thanks Waiting4Bump, that'll reassure a lot of anxious parents.:hugs:

Sorry I didnt reply to this earlier...

Thanks for the reply, I think a few people will be worrying the same as me and its always reassuring to hear it from an insiders point of view.

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Serenity123
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"