Fibroid and homebirth?

ZoeZo

Proper TTC Cycle 2011 #1
Reaction score
At my 13 week scan they told me I have a fundal fibroid, that's all I know so far, it wasn't that big at the time, maybe I'll know more next week at my 20 week scan, I'm worried they'll say I wont be able to have a home birth, anyone any experience? I've never had heavy periods so didn't even know I had one, it's at the top so not in the way of birth canal, so hopefully not a problem :flower:

I have a client who has several fundal fibroids. She has seen her consultant as a matter of course and they have said she has no concerns about her being at home. :)

Brilliant, thanks MM, I think I'm due to see a consultant after my 20 week scan, I only have one 'roid

I guess the consultants feelings about homebirth in general will influence their response. This consultant did recommend active management of the 3rd stage as there is a slightly increased risk she may bleed although it is hard to give stats that are specific as
1. no one else will have the exact same circs as you with regard to size location of fibroid and your personal uterine tone
2. so few women don't have the syntometrine now especially if fibroids are in situ that you can't actually use any figures given as they would be statistically obsolete!
3. there are a proportion of women who may well have fibroids at birth that don't know it

There is absolutely no reason why you can't have a physiological third stage and then defer to active management if the fibroids prevent the uterus contracting down well but with fundal fibroids any prospective issues will probably not occur until the placenta is out anyway so no problem in waiting and seeing.

Thank you, I'll see how much it has grown next Friday, I don't really want active third stage, but as you suggest wont know until after deliver the placenta, so wait and see, I've been reading on nipple stimulation to produce oxytocin to hopefully help, (want to breastfeed) but I'm hoping that as periods have never been an issue that hopefully this wont cause an issue, plenty of women have no trouble from fibroids before, during and after pregnancy, just have to see how it goes, if treatment is needed afterwards then so be it :)

There's not too much on the net with reference to it, but that could be for the exact reasons you state above, everyone is different

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->