Film ratings

k4th

Reaction score
Hi,

Dd is 4 years old and I'm wondering what everyone thinks about children and film ratings?

I was all for sticking rigidly to them - but when I took time to consider that frozen is a PG (I have no issue with dd watching all of it - although we have talked about ana hitting hans at the end) whilst the lion king is a U (I can still cry when mufasa dies! It's a horrible moment & I still haven't let dd watch it!) I wonder if I could be a bit more lenient and consider each film on it's own, knowing my dd.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not talking about letting her watch 15/18 rated films at all!!

What do you do with your kids & film ratings? At what age would you let them watch, say a 12 rated film? Would it always be at 12 years old without question, or would it be earlier depending on the film/your child? Would you ever let them watch a PG that you hadn't vetted first?

Just curious! Thanks :thumbup:

I take no notice of the ratings, anything under a 12 they watch and anything over i check online for suitability.My kids watch things with blood/shooting/gore but not with sex obviously. Swearing they see and know not to copy.

Mine are 7 yr old and watch anything U or Pg. There are a few things my girl used to be scared of that we're PG a few years ago so she used to just go play for the bits she didn't want to watch. Every film out there has some form of violence and upsetting part of it. Almost always a character dies or comes close to dying or something similarly upsetting. If you go by that alone you would never have a film to watch. I do not let them watch anything bloody and gorey, but they do watch things will violence and upsetting plots.

I decide for myself if the film is suitable or not. Connor mostly watches PG or U films, but he also watches the first 4 harry potter films and Jurassic park.

Mine are scared of everything. There are episodes of Princess Sophia that scare them, and they won't watch Superhero cartoons, DD is even scared of the baddies in one of the Barbie movies! So probably we will stick to U!

I don't pay attention to ratings, Dec is 7 (almost 8) and most of the films he watches are 12A, he has also watched a few 15's (nothing over the top just comedies and such)

I don't really pay attention to the ratings just use my judgment as to whether it looks appropriate for the kids. I'm pretty picky with what they watch as Hannah is a bit of a scared-y cat :lol: but they have watched PG cartoons.

I just judge for myself, U's and mostly PGs they watch to be honest at this age though. I'd let them watch a 12a if I'd seen it and knew it wasn't too bad.

I just judge for myself if the content is suitable for their age and interests. They've watched Jurassic Park at 5 and 3, and neither were scared by that. Both loved it, actually. I think you just have to look at what the ratings are for, what the movie is about, and make a decision as to whether its appropriate or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->