Finally made up my mind: Home it is!

starchild09

Reaction score
Hello all, So I've finally decided to go for a home birth. I am 26 weeks now and everything's been going smoothly with my pregnancy thus far. I feel great, eat well, try to exercise and walk as much as I can and just finished relocating to another province (from Ontario to Quebec).

I was transferred to a midwife here in Montreal and I really like her and feel at ease with her and the team she works with.

It is always what I wanted to be honest, but I've let myself be discouraged by people afraid of home birth and saying i was better off in a hospital. Meh! So I'm going with my original idea and not listening to anyone.

I just have a few questions though, for those who have gone through the experience or those closer to that time. (and i'm too impatient to wait for my next mw appointment to wait to ask! lol)

- I live in a half basement apartment where the entry way is next to a garage entry (for those family with Montreal types of triplex dwelling, it';s the typical type of dwelling you find on the east side of Montreal - i live in Anjou). It's a 1 bedroom, not too big, but roomy and i don't have much stuff in the way. Would that be suitable for a home birth or will there be a problem with the fact that I'm in a basement?

- I'm single so I won't have a partner present at my birth. Has anyone gone through a home birth with no partner and if so, how did you cope?

- A part from the list of supplies you have to get, is there anything particular i need to do to prepare for a home birth?

- In the case that this has to occur, how fast do I get to transfer to a hospital if there is a need for it? Is it rather quick and does the process go smoothly?

- I have a normal standard size bathub and a rather small bathroom, will I be allowed to use it during labour (obviously not for birth, but only for relief during labour)?

- How much money did you spend on supplies, prepping for the home birth?

Anything else I should know, be prepared for, or be aware of?

Thanks for your input to anyone who has any! I truly appreciate it and I'm looking forward to this experience if all continue to go well with the pregnancy and I can achieve this goal for the birth of my son.
:)

I don't have any insight for you, as this is my first... but I wanted to say congrats on sticking to your guns!! :) There will always be naysayers but it's great to trust your gut. I am going the home birth route too and can't wait! :)

Yay! Congrats on making the decision for a home birth! Just a few thoughts on your questions just from what I've learned in my research so far.

It shouldn't matter the layout/size/location of your apartment. As long as you're comfortable there and you can move things around to make space as needed, you should be fine.

As for not having a partner, I don't think it matters who exactly is there, as long as whoever you choose to be there for your birth is supportive of you. Is there anyone specific you would like to ask to be there, like a parent, sister, friend, etc? Is that person supportive of your choice to birth at home, or at least willing to learn about it and be there for you? Would you consider hiring a doula to be an extra source of support during birth? Would whoever is there for you be willing to stay with you after, overnight for example, just to make sure you aren't by yourself during the first day or so after your birth (if that's something you'd want)?

As for your tub, I can't see why it would be an issue. Lots of women use their own bath tubs for labor, and unless it gets uncomfortable for you, there's not necessarily a reason you have to get out for the actual birth. You don't need to be allowed to stay in it. Just do what feels right for you at the time. I mean if it's small, you might want to because it might mean largely being on your back, which might not feel good. But if it does, it's your choice to stay in. You could also think of buying (or maybe renting?) an inflatable birthing pool if you would rather have something bigger and more comfy to birth in.

Hope that's helpful!

Hi congrats! I will try and answer as best I can. I am scheduled for my home birth here in Montreal in a few months and have already gone through the details of the process.

- I live in a half basement apartment where the entry way is next to a garage entry (for those family with Montreal types of triplex dwelling, it';s the typical type of dwelling you find on the east side of Montreal - i live in Anjou). It's a 1 bedroom, not too big, but roomy and i don't have much stuff in the way. Would that be suitable for a home birth or will there be a problem with the fact that I'm in a basement?

Your sage-femme will do a home inspection at 36 weeks. The only issues they are looking for, is whether or not the home will be difficult for emergency services accessibility, so if you live on the 5th floor of an old 1800's apartment with no elevator, that will be a problem. I don't think a typical triplex is so bad, but they will want to come check. The actual home itself isn't a problem unless it's some sort of meth lab, lol.

- I'm single so I won't have a partner present at my birth. Has anyone gone through a home birth with no partner and if so, how did you cope?

No advice but I recommend contacting motherwit.ca (Montreal doula service), they often offer discount/subsidies for single mothers, and sometimes even free of charge if you would like a student. My doula is fantastic and lives in NDG if you're interested.

- A part from the list of supplies you have to get, is there anything particular i need to do to prepare for a home birth?

A birth pool if you are interested.

- In the case that this has to occur, how fast do I get to transfer to a hospital if there is a need for it? Is it rather quick and does the process go smoothly?

One midwife will assist you while the other will contact an ambulance. The vast vast majority of ambulance transfers are smooth and occur at the first sign of problems, not when anything major happens.

- I have a normal standard size bathub and a rather small bathroom, will I be allowed to use it during labour (obviously not for birth, but only for relief during labour)?

Yes

- How much money did you spend on supplies, prepping for the home birth?

I'm still trying to find a birthing pool so I don't know. Other than that, just some food/drinks for the midwives.

Anything else I should know, be prepared for, or be aware of?

Not that I can think of at the time but I recommend speaking with motherwit.ca and they also offer free info sessions and contacts to home birth/natural birthing groups.

Good luck!!

Hi! I am a fellow Canadian, also under midwife care (in BC) and also 26 weeks!

DH and I have finally decided to plan for and aim for a home birth...it is exciting to have made the decision, but now it feels like preparations really need to begin.

I will definitely be following your progress, it is great to see someone else due at the same time to connect with!

I don't have any insight for you, as this is my first... but I wanted to say congrats on sticking to your guns!! :) There will always be naysayers but it's great to trust your gut. I am going the home birth route too and can't wait! :)

Yikes! I didn't know you were planning for a homebirth :thumbup:

Another fellow Canadian due in November...we should start a thread!

Yikes! I didn't know you were planning for a homebirth :thumbup: Another fellow Canadian due in November...we should start a thread!

Done!! Here's the link: https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/home-natural-birthing/1120261-canadian-home-birthers.html

Awww! Thank you all for your awesome feedback!

Yes, it seems like a lot of us Canucks ladies are going the home route, so that's great to see and we can all compare notes as we go along!

Aliss, you really broke in down. Thank you for taking the time to share what you know.

But I'm re-assured now, I feel more and more I can do this.

I'm soooo glad I moved to Montreal! I don't even think I could have had the extra income to plan for a home birth in Toronto. It's not paradise here (paradise to me is the beach, white sand and year round sun! lol), but it sure helps to have some extra money in your pocket to do more and have the peace of mind that you can actually pay your bills and have some left over! What a relief! I no longer have to wonder how in the world I will pay for diapers! lol I can feel now I can afford being a mother.

Anyways, let's see how this comes along. I'm excited! :)

I got in touch with Motherwit, btw!

They were willing to work something out with me which suits my situation. I'm just trying to coordinate a first meeting with the doula I was assigned. Thanks for that suggestion Aliss!

I got in touch with Motherwit, btw!

They were willing to work something out with me which suits my situation. I'm just trying to coordinate a first meeting with the doula I was assigned. Thanks for that suggestion Aliss!

Fantastic hun!!! Mine is Lewina. If you get her, she seems really amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->