Finding it VERY hard to stay active to help bring on labour.

jessicaR4bbit

Some woman, and manchild
Reaction score
I'm looking for any tips on how to move around and stay as active as possible to help things progress. People always say that you need to walk, walk and walk some more. Thing is I can barely walk anymore! My back pain has been getting much worse so I can't handle hour long walks without breaking down. I bounce on the birthing ball as much as I can, but again, after a while my back starts to ache. I try rolling around and same story! When I get up from the birthing ball the pain hasn't subsided :(

I can't swim either since our local swimming pool is temporarily closed and I have no way of travelling to use another one in a different town. Does anybody have any tips or experiencing anything similar? I feel bad that I can't 'walk myself into labour' and wish there was something simpler I could do that doesn't cause me pain.

I'm sorry hon. Trying to walk more has caused me some foot and knee pain, so I understand your dilemma. :hugs: I would say, don't worry about the advice to "walk yourself into labor" if it means overdoing it. Just do what you can without hurting yourself. Alternate walking, birthing ball, and lying down or sitting in whatever position is comfortable for you!

The end of pregnancy is hard enough already :hugs: IMO it is worth conserving some energy for labor.

Completely agree :-( had some major pains lately, especially when walking to the school for kids today but I haven't got the energy to go for long walk or climb stairs or dtd lol actually think if I go into labour soon I won't actually have the energy for it!! X

I've given up on walking, i now drive everywhere lol I feel so lazy but my back, legs and pelvis just can't handle any walking and i'd much rather not be in pain. Maybe try all the other things that can bring on labour instead?

Thanks guys for your replies. Yeah, I've been moving around today but only a little while, maybe a few hours. Been cleaning etc. Even standing at the sink to do the dishes resulted in me having sharp and unbearable lower back pain :( Gah it was never this bad. I've managed to strap on a hot water bottle around my waist for some relief lol. Feel like a turtle.

I envy all these women who are able to walk for hours up until they deliver! I wish I could do that as well. I feel like such a failure walking around in constant pain :cry:

Don't feel like a failure! You are carrying an entire person in your belly! That's a lot to do right there. :hugs:

dont bother hun just relax babies always comes when we least expect it and walking around aint gonna do zip anyway it will happen when it happens in the meantime have a bath and relax girl you sound like your in agony! x

Thank you guys, I feel better now after reading your comments :hugs:

I have tried just about everything and because I don't sleep very well at night it leaves me very tired and worn out all day long. I am due to be induced in 4 days so i am just sitting on my butt for right now lol.

lol never in my life have I felt so bad for just sitting down. I feel ya :)

I've come to the conclusion that walking doesn't do it lol I've walked so much I'm in agony too and feel like the majority of the this is it threads start with people being awoken with contractions so my thinking is if I just sit on my bum as much as poss it will happen lol I knocked myself into the ground with my last baby trying to induce labour with walking and activity and went 10 days over too so def giving up kx

From 39 weeks I did this schedule: walking 2 hours a day, swimming 4 times a week, on my birthing ball whenever I was at home, sex every night (twice at 41+5!) and had to be induced at 42 weeks!! I was in absolute agony, especially with my hips and back. So don't worry about staying active to get you in labour, wish I hadn't bothered, could have spent those last few weeks relaxing!

Hehe, thanks Irish :) I can see how being active would help but you're right. It doesn't work for everyone x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->