Fine motor skills

neadyda

Reaction score
We had Jamie's parents morning today.

His teacher said:

• He has very poor fine motor skills.
    His concentration isn't very good (with adults)
    His maths is fine.

I just wondered if any of you have any ideas how I can help him develop his fine motor skills?

Regarding his concentration, he is only 4 and quite shy, so it's building his confidence more then anything. I feel she is expecting too much... He is the youngest in his class.

I'm proud of how far he is doing. Before he started reception he couldnt write any letters, now he can do his name and other things.

There are loads of really easy ideas to improve fine motor skills that I do with the reception kids I teach that aid manual dexterity:

Thread dried pasta onto a string
Play with playdough (roll into a ball, squash, twist, pull, squeeze, stretch)
Popping bubble wrap
See how many paper clips can he join together in a minute
Clothes pegs. How many can he peg around a box in 1 minute?
Use a clothes peg to try and pick up pom poms (or similar)
Use tweezers ( can get jumbo tweezers) to separate two different things, eg dried pasta from cheerios
Practise doing buttons
Scrunch paper into little balls and play table football by flicking it across the table to each other (the scrunching and the flicking both help manual dexterity)
Practise turning keys in padlocks.
Draw wavy/zigzag/straight lines for him to trace over
Have a tray of sand to do some mark making in, spirals, zig zags, wavy lines etc
Use individual hole punch round a piece of card. Children can then thread wool/ribbon through these.
Play games such as tiddly winks or the frogs where you press their backs

I wouldn't overly worry about what you've been told. It's a starting point for you to see where his improvements are. As you say he is still very young-the concentration will come.

I like all the ideas that pp gave you :)

My daughter has poor fine motor skills too but improving all the time. Can he open packetsvon food etc this is an easy way to practice too x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->