• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Finger foods *how's this for progress?!*

sam's mum

mum of two gorgeous boys
Reaction score
Sam's been having a few of the 6+ months rice cakes, and he loves them but won't actually hold them himself. Everything else in the house gets picked up and put straight in his mouth, but I'll put a rice cake on the tray of his high chair and he'll sit there with his mouth open looking at me as if he's wondering what's taking me so long :rofl: Even if I let him have a bit and put it back down again he'll still just open his mouth (as he does if I'm feeding him with a spoon).

If I put anything else on the tray though, it'll go straight in - toys, packs of wipes, phone...

Is he meant to be learning to do it himself or can I feed them to him for now? Or should we just stick to normal food?! x

Have you tried putting it in his hand instead of just setting it on the tray?
Colton has always prefered the spoon and I've been giving him lots of fingerfoods. He is just now getting to were he will set it down, pick it up, etc himself. He still sometimes just opens his mouth when I try to hand it to him, then after I dont stick it in he realizes he has to grab it himself and will grab it from my hand.
:D

Have you tried putting it in his hand instead of just setting it on the tray?
Colton has always prefered the spoon and I've been giving him lots of fingerfoods. He is just now getting to were he will set it down, pick it up, etc himself. He still sometimes just opens his mouth when I try to hand it to him, then after I dont stick it in he realizes he has to grab it himself and will grab it from my hand.
:D

I tried that today but he just waved it around and then threw it at me :laugh2: But if I put things in front of him he'll usually pick them up...I'll try that again tomorrow and see how we get on...thanks :D x

Ryan is only just starting to put food in his mouth himself. Until last week he would hold on to my hand and shove my fingers into his mouth! And if I set it down in front of him, he would squish everything up and throw it off the tray.
But if Sam is doing it himself, I would say go for it! Lovely pics on your ticker btw!

Ryan is only just starting to put food in his mouth himself. Until last week he would hold on to my hand and shove my fingers into his mouth! And if I set it down in front of him, he would squish everything up and throw it off the tray.
But if Sam is doing it himself, I would say go for it! Lovely pics on your ticker btw!

Thank you :D

Maybe he needs a bit longer then! He'll grab my fingers and stick them in his mouth for a chew...and his teething thing - he has no problem picking that up and chewing on it (the same way I'd expect him to eat something) but I was just wondering if I should be teaching him rather than just feeding him myself - he obviously knows he's meant to be eating it as if I take it away he'll lean forwards with his mouth open trying to get it back, just with no effort to actually take it from me or reach out with his hands! x

I tried that today but he just waved it around and then threw it at me :laugh2: But if I put things in front of him he'll usually pick them up...I'll try that again tomorrow and see how we get on...thanks :D x

:lol: Colton used to do that, waving it around.. lol.. I have a video of him doing it with his first biscuit!
Sometimes if Colton doesn't take it at first I will hold it to his lips so he can taste it and knows its 'yummy' and for him to eat, and THEN hold it in front of him for him to grab and he will eat it.
You could possibly try that?

Either way, if you just started him it will take a few tries. Colton has just recently gotten to were he knows to take his, now all I have to do is start opening it and he gets ready! :cloud9: But his biscuits come in packs of 12, and it took the first pack for him to get the hang of it. :lol:

Maybe he needs a bit longer then! He'll grab my fingers and stick them in his mouth for a chew...and his teething thing - he has no problem picking that up and chewing on it (the same way I'd expect him to eat something) but I was just wondering if I should be teaching him rather than just feeding him myself - he obviously knows he's meant to be eating it as if I take it away he'll lean forwards with his mouth open trying to get it back, just with no effort to actually take it from me or reach out with his hands! x

Just read this.. and wanted to add: you will have to teach him. He will eventually learn if you dont show him, but I've always shown Colton and he is really good at it now. I used to feed him and my mom would always laugh because she said, "he KNOWS that you will hold it for him, thats why he's not holding it himself". When we got his highchair I started letting him hold it because if he dropped it, it would fall on the chair/tray not the floor :dohh: and when he dropped it I just picked it up and touched it against his hand and he would grab it again. It's just repeating it over and over, lol.
Colton still even drops his now; although about 50% of the time he will drop it on the tray and pick it back up, the other 50% of the time he drops it on his lap and I have to get it OR it goes on the floor and then in the trash :sick:.

Anyways, good luck! And let us know how he does tomorrow! :D

Just read this.. and wanted to add: you will have to teach him. He will eventually learn if you dont show him, but I've always shown Colton and he is really good at it now. I used to feed him and my mom would always laugh because she said, "he KNOWS that you will hold it for him, thats why he's not holding it himself". When we got his highchair I started letting him hold it because if he dropped it, it would fall on the chair/tray not the floor :dohh: and when he dropped it I just picked it up and touched it against his hand and he would grab it again. It's just repeating it over and over, lol.
Colton still even drops his now; although about 50% of the time he will drop it on the tray and pick it back up, the other 50% of the time he drops it on his lap and I have to get it OR it goes on the floor and then in the trash :sick:.

Anyways, good luck! And let us know how he does tomorrow! :D

Thank you!! That's what I was worried about (him knowing that I'll hold it for him - he clearly knows he's meant to be eating it as he tries to get his mouth to it!) We'll try that today and see how he gets on :D x

Well we tried again today...after letting him taste it with me holding it I just kept putting it in his hand, and:

https://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk217/lynnmarkandsam/th_RiceCake17thSeptember2008.jpg

:wohoo: I love how quickly he shoves it in at the end :rofl:

Thanks guys :D x

Aww! :D It looks like he is enjoying it! Yum Yum!
He's a smart little guy! And super adorable!

:rofl: .. now if only I could get Colton to hold his bottle! Wish that was as easy as the biscuits! :dohh:

:laugh2: Good luck! I'm sure sometimes they realise that they can just relax and have things done for them! x

One of Moos first finger foods were carrot stix those organix ones like wotsits .... LOVES THEM :D

I had tears in my eyes watching that :lol: well done sam :happydance:

One of Moos first finger foods were carrot stix those organix ones like wotsits .... LOVES THEM :D

Those sound great! Think we need to go shopping as I've only got plain rice cakes and apple flavour rice cakes...poor boy's going to get sick of them :rofl: ...was expecting him to take longer to get used to it! x

:cloud9: aw so cute.
Oscar loves the organix carrot sticks too :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back