Finish your plate or no dessert. Are you for that?

missjess

Mummy of a prince
Reaction score
I really don't believe in teaching this to a child. It is proven to cause eating disorders also.

My husband's family on the other hand are totally for it...

Everyone have their opinions of course, but there is no way I'll be teaching this to Josh.

Have you been raised like that? You going to be teaching this to your child?

I was never raised like that. We used to eat as much as we wanted and if a dessert was there we would get it (however i wasn't raised having dessert after each meal, it was more of a treat)

I personally won't be teaching my son this either xx

I was raised like that but i dont say/never have said it it to my son (BUT he is a good eater though).Sometimes kids get bored with the main meal so why make them eat it ALL?as long as they eat enough to be healthy and active i dont see the point of 'force-feeding'.

I was. My parents used to make me sit and eat all of my meal and I wasn't allowed to leave the table until I was finished

I was raised like that and i'll try to stick with it for mini pp although obviously it wont be enforced like the be all and end all.

I was raised this way and I don't have eating problems... I'll eat pretty much everything... (yes that's right, I ate even liver off my plate :sick: ) However I do not believe in it at all. i also do not give dessert after every meal either ( as per doctors instruction) My OH was raised that way as well, and the man has major eating problems... He will barely eat anything besides chicken lol he said since his mom "made him" clear his plate, whether there was dessert or not, he refuses to eat anything he doesn't want to ever again... It is irritating to me, as it is hard for me to come up with meal ideas all the time.
I don't believe you should force a child to eat something s/he does not want...

I was raised like that also but what I will be doing for max is if you dont finish your supper now and get hungry after 2 hrs your supper will be there for you ..we only had dessert once in a blue moon ..the problem with "if you dont eat your supper no dessert thing " is that it makes the child think that eating is like a game and the dessert is a reward it should not be that way . eating should be fun

I was raised like that also but what I will be doing for max is if you dont finish your supper now and get hungry after 2 hrs your supper will be there for you ..we only had dessert once in a blue moon ..the problem with "if you dont eat your supper no dessert thing " is that it makes the child think that eating is like a game and the dessert is a reward it should not be that way . eating should be fun

I agree... this is actually why my doctor said no dessert on most days... It makes sense!!

Yeah my hubby says this to me all the time as I dont finish my plate and go for dessert lol

my mom would make me eat my food she had served me and i do tell maddy she has to finish hers, if there is a lot on the plate then im lenient but if i do her teh right portion size and shes just being picky i wont allow her to have pudding if she hasnt eaten her dinner...im not over the top though as long as she has eaten most of it i am happy i just wont let her eat the "crap" so to speak

h x

We didnt have dessert on offer after every meal either, we were pretty poor so all the more reason for us to eat the food that was put infront of us as dessert was a real treat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->