First antenatal class :)

J22

Reaction score
Hi ladies!

Well this morning I've been to my first antenatal class :happydance:.
Of course, being in Spain the structure and organisation of the classes is all a tad...erm....well, "unorganised"!! Living here has its advantages and disadvantages and organisation isn't their strong point!!

The midwife was really lovely though and there were 6 of us in class and we went over the birth and epidural. I was very surprised to discover there's no alternative here to epidural so looks like I'll be having one....there's not even the option of gas and air! I was hoping to get to know some girls at the classes (I'm in a rural area and am often tied with the business and was hoping this would be a good way to get to know more people), but they were all really quiet...they weren't making conversation amongst themselves even though they knew each other from other classes....so we'll see! The classes are obviously in the local language of Catalan which I don't speak so it makes it a little more difficult for me to concentrate on everything she's explaining!

I've requested a special class for dads in 2 weeks time so my OH can get an "express" preparation class! :thumbup: Of course they didn't have one organised but as there's no set structure to start with she was happy to do it.

Anyway, that was a bit of a pointless ramble but just wanted to tell you...:haha:

Hope you're all well and having a good day xxxx

Hey, ive got my classes on the 21st June, they do everything in one day so I think it will be a lot to take in!

That seems strange there is no gas and air available for you and nothing but an epi, very weird but I guess everywhere does things different. Although you found the language barrier a little tough, did you find it informative? Did you OH go with you? My OH is coming along with me, he got us in the situation so he can come along! I dipped out of the BF class though, didnt see the point as I dont plan on BF'ing.

xx

Hey, ive got my classes on the 21st June, they do everything in one day so I think it will be a lot to take in!

That seems strange there is no gas and air available for you and nothing but an epi, very weird but I guess everywhere does things different. Although you found the language barrier a little tough, did you find it informative? Did you OH go with you? My OH is coming along with me, he got us in the situation so he can come along! I dipped out of the BF class though, didnt see the point as I dont plan on BF'ing.

xx

I did find it really useful and actually I could probably say I feel a little calmer about delivery even after only one class..probably 'cos the midwife was so lovely! OH didn't go today 'cos I wanted to see the set-up of the classes first before he takes time off work. She said for me to just keep going every week until I give birth, but I got the impression off the other girls that things get repeated a lot (maybe not a bad thing though!). OH will come along in 2 weeks time; I know he'd like to go to some kind of class and I think it'll put him at ease too.
The classes will help me with my Catalan too :thumbup: 'cos we speak Spanish at home but bubs will need Catalan for school.
Your all-day class may be heavy going but I'm sure you'll benefit a lot from it. It's great your OH can go too so you can both take the information in! xxxx

Oh right so can you go as many times as you want to your classess? Thats a pretty good idea!

Yeah I think all day will be a bit of a killer and its only a one-off so no repeats unfortunately.

Oh right so can you go as many times as you want to your classess? Thats a pretty good idea!

Yeah I think all day will be a bit of a killer and its only a one-off so no repeats unfortunately.

Yep, here it looks like you just keep going! There's no structure really as to what she'll be talking about...in fact she was asking us what we wanted to cover next week so I suppose you can miss some classes if you've already covered it. That's Spain though....:wacko:
xxx

Lol crazy! How long you been in Spain for? Does the health system work the same out there or is it private?

I've lived over here for 16 yrs (lived in Tenerife for 9 yrs before moving to the mainland). The health system's like the UK and tbh Spains known for very good maternity care...my mum said she read a report the other day that it was ranked Nº.5 just behind the scandanavian countries....just wish they were more organised :haha:
xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->