First appointment tomorrow

toasty6

Reaction score
Hey all,

My first appointment with my OB is tomorrow and I'm really excited/nervous... I'm not sure what to expect, and I know everything varies from country to country (I'm in USA) and really depends on what insurance covers, etc. I've just recently joined my husband's insurance a few months ago and I don't really know what's covered as far as amount of ultrasounds, etc. My husband talked to someone who has the same insurance as I do and she said they gave her a gender ultrasound at 16 weeks, and I have heard many insurances don't cover one that early or even at all and people have to pay privately for that. He didn't ask about how early her first ultrasound was, though.

Anywho... when I was on the phone scheduling the appointment, the receptionist asked me when my LMP was (November 13 puts me around 7w5d tomorrow), and said to expect to be there for "about 2 hours". I understand lots of that time may be waiting room time, but that seems like a long appointment if I'm possibly not having a scan? She told me they would be talking about what to expect, going over insurance, taking blood/urine (pap too, I'm sure), and "maybe a vaginal ultrasound". Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm wondering if the "maybe" is for whether it will be abdominal or vaginal, but I also think the "maybe" is for whether or not I will have one at all. I was talking with my dad yesterday, who is an MD who used to do OB but hasn't for several years (I so wish he still did, and I could just pop in after-hours for a free ultrasound! Ugh!). Anyways, he seemed really doubtful that they would do an ultrasound this early with me not having any pain or bleeding and because I know when my LMP is. The only thing he said was "I don't know, your insurance MIGHT cover it, but they don't usually do those until 10 or 12 weeks". His reasoning makes sense, though. Lots of ladies are a week or two behind what they estimate, and freak out when they don't see a heartbeat that early. So, I can see what he's saying.

BUT, now I'm bummed out... I am bringing my husband with me just in case they do one and we can see the heartbeat. I need him there with me for that special moment! Otherwise, if they schedule it for another month down the road I will just have to try to get it coordinated to he can come as well.

Anyways, I'm terrible at putting my thoughts into concise posts! Part of my pregnancy brain, I think. I'm constantly rambling, hahaha.

When I called to schedule my first appt, the office manager told me that they like to have them after 8 weeks. She said they only do u/s 2 days a week and asked which day I prefered so I knew it was happening. I didnt know it was an abdominal until I got there. The u/s was first and I got to hear the hb. Urine was next. I sat down with the NP and talked over what was found in the u/s, medical history, EDD and my options for genetic testing. Then I had blood drawn and a pap. The total appt lasted 1.5 hrs. I was 8.5 weeks at the time and my husband did not come. I wish he would've though because he texted me every 5 minutes lol. I have Anthem insurance and they cover the 8 and 20 week u/s for sure. I feel like my co-workers have said they've gotten another one arnd 36 weeks but I'm not positive on that.
Good luck with your appt tomorrow!!

Thanks, allycheer. We'll see what happens tomorrow! I'm not going to really know what to say as far as medical history for my husband because he is adopted and we really have no idea. Shouldn't matter too much though as I plan on getting most of the genetic tests anyways.

You shouldn't get a pap smear, they're not given to pregnant women as it can be risky.
Sounds like you might get a dating scan, blood tests, I know you get a lot in the USA.
There was a lot of paperwork at my first midwife appointment.
Xx

You shouldn't get a pap smear, they're not given to pregnant women as it can be risky.
Sounds like you might get a dating scan, blood tests, I know you get a lot in the USA.
There was a lot of paperwork at my first midwife appointment.
Xx

They always give a Pap smear here, unless you've recently had one.

With my MMC I did have a pap smear. They sent me for bloodwork before my appointment. We basically talked about history, checked the cervix and that was basically it. They wouldn't see me til I was after 8 weeks. I was 9, and by the time I went to my next appointment that baby stopped growing and I had an emergency ultrasound to confirm it. I don't think my dates were right considering I didn't get a positive test til I was 2 weeks late. If my dates were right, by the time I went to my first appointment the baby already stopped growing. I was so angry with them. Made the whole situation 10x worse.

This time I went to a different doctor. They saw me at 6+6 since I told them I had a MMC before. I took a urine test to confirm, and she checked my cervix. I didn't have a pap smear considering I just had one a couple months back with my MMC. We talked about my concerns that I had since I had a MMC and we scheduled an ultrasound for later that week. They gave me paper work to bring in next time regarding my history and gave me paper work for my blood work. I paid a $25 co-pay, but they said that it would be the only time I would to pay. I didn't pay for my ultrasound either. They first started with an abdominal, and we could see the baby but she did it vaginally as well so we could get a better picture. With this office they have the machines in the same building, as well as a place for bloodwork. I had my bloodwork done after the ultrasound, but I couldn't provide a urine sample because I already peed for my ultrasound and couldn't go lol.

BUT they did say my next appointment is my "official" OB appointment? Not sure what that means. But she said that we would talk more about genetics, listen to the heartbeat. She said it would be longer next time too. So, I guess we'll see lol.

Okay, cool. Yeah I've always heard paps are pretty routine and I'm overdue for one. I thought it sounded like I would get a dating scan too but then again I'm not so sure, since I know when my LMP was. I thought about fibbing, but I don't want the scan if insurance won't cover it.

Also, this place has an in-house lab and ultrasound machines. I'm optimistic but not too hopeful lol

You never know til you go in! That's how it was for me. One of my friends go to the same OB I'm going to, she tried to tell me she only got a scan at 6 weeks because she was spotting and didn't have another til 20. But she also said it's pretty routine for one at 12. Well when I went in I didn't even have to ask and she said we could schedule one to make sure everything was growing right. Turns out baby was exactly 7+3 with my dates. So don't count yourself out until you go in! :)

That would be so exciting! Praying for one... I would actually be okay with them scheduling one for another day except my school and work schedule is nightmarish and I definitely want my husband there as well.

For me they said to expect an hour and a half. They will start with an ultrasound tgen urine, bliidwoek, talk with the dr, pap smear, breast exam, etc

How far will you be at your appointment? That's great news... And are you in US or UK? I know UK does things a lot differently it seems, even having special units for early pregnancy.

I will be 8 weeks at my appointment. I'm in the US :)

Also with all three of mine I've had/having early scans I think its pretty nornal here :)

I had a vaginal ultrasound and they saw the baby quite easily, dated me back to 6w5d and had a strong heart rate of 145! Hubby cried :) got a few pictures of our little bean that I'll post later!!!

Yes I'm a little disappointed I measured a whole week behind but that's okay! Baby is healthy and growing in the right place!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->