First appt. What to expect?

Bigbabyb808

Reaction score
I am 8 weeks today and have my first appointment on Friday. We had our first ultrasound last week. Can anyone tell me what I could expect during my first "exam" appointment? Is it true that I will get a pap? I read that somewhere.

Any insight would be helpful! Thanks!!

this is a good question. I go for my first appt. on Jan 21st, i will be about 7 1/2 weeks and hoping i get a ultrasound or something.

Nurseginger, you got a BFP??? How did I miss this!!?!?? Congrats!!!!

This is how my first appointment was, and I am in the U.S.: an hour was spent speaking with the nurse about different things: birth plans, insurance, cord banking, what to eat and not eat, etc. I am 35 and they decided to give me some blood sugar test on the spot. I had to chug some sugary orange drink in 10 minutes. She also told me how my appointments would be in the next 9 months, when I would have ultrasounds, and also discussed the abnormalities testing. Was given a map of the hospital and a quick rundown of where to go to in case of emergency and where I would deliver. Then lab work, I think to get my blood type, and some other miniscule things (I asked, but it all didn't seem that big a deal, so I forgot, lol). They gave me instructions on how I need to give a urine sample every time I come in.
The second hour was with my doc, which actually took only about 30 min. We listened to and saw the heartbeat. She decided to do my yearly as well, so I had a pap smear. She gave me an EDD. Talked about questions I had. And that was it. Other than my NT scan, and this coming up Level II which is suppose to take at least an hour, all subsequent appointments with my doc are usually pretty short.

My first appointment lasted no longer than 15 minutes. I got weighed, had my blood pressure checked and was told what I could and couldn't eat, and she explained about folic acid. My doctor tested my urine for diabetes, just because it runs in my family and I hadn't been to the doctors in a while and dipped a pregnancy test to confirm my pregnancy before handing over my info to the midwives.

The first appointment with my midwife was a nightmare. I thought it was going to be brief and would last around the same amount of time. Nope. We talked about my job, my husband's job, our house, our families, my sexual partners and a whole list of personal stuff that she didn't really need to know about. I was weighed again, she took my blood pressure again, she had a feel of my tummy, we spoke about folic acid again, we calculated my due date. I think we exchanged life stories in the 45 minutes I was there. :shrug:

Is this the 'booking in' appointment you are referring too bab?
If so mine took around an hour (compared to my 1st pregnancy it was about 30 mins) and my MW took all and i mean *ALOT* of detailed stuff on a tablet including my marital status, home ownership, highest level of qualifications (GCSE,A Level etc) down to the actual important stuff like 'has anyone in your close family suffered with thrombosis, diabetes' etc.

Height weight, blood pressure and carbon monoxide tests were all taken and as im obese i was also referred to the lighter life team for a diet consultation (separately)
It was also a chance to just get to know the MW and gladly 2nd time around mine is a saint (my 1st experience was horrid lol) so don't be afraid to ask silly Q's

Hope it goes well!

:flower:

My first appointment lasted no longer than 15 minutes. I got weighed, had my blood pressure checked and was told what I could and couldn't eat, and she explained about folic acid. My doctor tested my urine for diabetes, just because it runs in my family and I hadn't been to the doctors in a while and dipped a pregnancy test to confirm my pregnancy before handing over my info to the midwives.

The first appointment with my midwife was a nightmare. I thought it was going to be brief and would last around the same amount of time. Nope. We talked about my job, my husband's job, our house, our families, my sexual partners and a whole list of personal stuff that she didn't really need to know about. I was weighed again, she took my blood pressure again, she had a feel of my tummy, we spoke about folic acid again, we calculated my due date. I think we exchanged life stories in the 45 minutes I was there. :shrug:

I too felt frustrated at the *need* of knowing if I am married own my own house, essentially 'how smart are you' it does feel like they are gathering statistics for something :shrug: surely the health of mother and child is more of a concern rather than knowing the nature of my husbands job!!

I too felt frustrated at the *need* of knowing if I am married own my own house, essentially 'how smart are you' it does feel like they are gathering statistics for something :shrug: surely the health of mother and child is more of a concern rather than knowing the nature of my husbands job!!

You'd think so! I couldn't help but roll my eyes when we had to get in to my husband's bring home wage. I knew it was going to be a long one as soon as "he runs his own business" left my lips. I'm half tempted to lie if we go for baby #2 :shrug:

You'd think so! I couldn't help but roll my eyes when we had to get in to my husband's bring home wage. I knew it was going to be a long one as soon as "he runs his own business" left my lips. I'm half tempted to lie if we go for baby #2 :shrug:

I've felt like that a few times already in this pregnancy, i understand they want to know you can provide for the child but the intrusive nature of it all doesn't ring fully right with me - last time it was only qualifications and even then I kinda thought 'Hang on, are you just making sure Big bird taught me my ABC's?' but this time VERY in depth, to the point where 'what company do you work for, and what do you do, and how much do you bring in a month , are you married? do you live with your husband still?
that took longer than the health questions lol!

Guess we have to take it in our stride, we know our babies will be cared for well regardless of annual income etc. I'm sure this is some kind of census being built up by the NHS (it screams it)

I've felt like that a few times already in this pregnancy, i understand they want to know you can provide for the child but the intrusive nature of it all doesn't ring fully right with me - last time it was only qualifications and even then I kinda thought 'Hang on, are you just making sure Big bird taught me my ABC's?' but this time VERY in depth, to the point where 'what company do you work for, and what do you do, and how much do you bring in a month , are you married? do you live with your husband still?
that took longer than the health questions lol!

Guess we have to take it in our stride, we know our babies will be cared for well regardless of annual income etc. I'm sure this is some kind of census being built up by the NHS (it screams it)

I'm about to study midwifery and the reason why they have to gather so much information at the booking in appointment is to identify the risks. Obviously 'most' women don't have any risks but that's why they are so in detail they need to find out mental health/ past sexual abuse/ physical health etc etc so they can put extra support in place if needed. It is very long winded but I think it's good that our Nhs cares for us as well as they do :)

That makes sense and is what I assumed. Some of what is asked is far too personal though.

Interesting! Sounds more like an interrogation than an exam! Thanks for the feedback!!!

For me they went over all mine & my families health history. They ask me how my pregnancy was going, look at the ultrasound, determined my due date, and did a pap smear, also an ultrasound on a little wheel in machine! They also gave me packets of information, coupons, samples, etc! Went over the plan for next ultrasound and appointment!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->