First baby, considering home birth, advice :)

mummy2be362

Proud Mommy to Chloe
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I've finally accepted that the time between me having bubs isn't too far away now, and wanted to start planning for the birth.

Now I think I'm right in saying that if I was to give birth in hospital, they wouldn't let me OH stop overnight with me? If this is the case, this absolutely terrifies me and is the only reason why I'm considering a home birth (may sound ridiculous to some, but each to their own!)

My midwife seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth, I'm fairly sure I should be having an appointment around now. I even tried to call her after I fell downstairs at 17 weeks, texted her too, still haven't had a reply so she's useless to the situation.

In any case if I did have a home birth and there were complications we literally live 5 minute drive from the local hospital.

Anyone have any advice?

xxxxx

Im having my first and also planning on a home birth, with one of the main reasons being I want my OH there with me and not to have to the baby a few hours later.
I hope to be able to stay at home all the way through labour but if it gets too much I will go in.
You just need to make sure your wishes are clear and stick to them, if I have to go into hospital and everything is fine with me and baby I dont want to be taken to the ward I want to go straight home.

There is absolutely no reason why a first baby should not be born at home. Just tell your MW that, that is what you want and that should start the ball rolling :)

Do you make appointments with her direct or through the Dr's surgery? Mine has a clinic at the surgery and you have to call to make appointments but I think it differs depending on your area?

I'm having my first and am hoping to have a home birth also. My midwife is very supportive no matter which option we choose. I am only going in to the hospital if need be!

Do you have a second midwife or student that you can try and contact?

In my honest opinion I think it is too risky.in aus you now go home on the same day you give birth provided there is no complications.if that is the only reason then maybe you could look into giving birth at the hospital then discharging yourself?I only have a negative opinion about FIRST home births as I had a seemingly normal pregnancy but at birth I nearly bled to death.without all hands on deck I would have.with immediate attention and intervention I still lost 2litres.also my baby was 9pound 4 but no one picked up on that either and it really complicated the birth and endangered the baby.if you have had one baby without complications then I could understand taking the risk..just my personal experience to help you decide.

I see absolutely no reason not to have a home birth. I wish I had, basically I stayed home until I was ready to push, then went in hospital to push my son out, lol. Totally pointless! I could have saved myself th agony of travelling. If your midwives feel confident you are a good candidate, then by all means you should.

On Homebirth.org there's a section on HB for first babies. I had a HB with my first, and it was infinitely better then it would've been in hospital - birth story in my siggy.

MikaylasMummy, can I be nosey and ask what measures they took to stop the bleeding?

Thanks to all for your replies :) Very very helpful :D

I will be calling the midwifery office tomorrow to ask whats going on, my midwife usually sends letters to me with new dates so I'll give them a nudge.

xxxx

Kess..sure =) it took abdominal massage by two midwives..a bunch of drugs and they needed about 6 ppl in the room..all were with me none with baby.thankgod she was fine as there wouldn't have been enough ppl to help us both!I didn't find out her weight for an hour and I had to yell at ppl to confirm for me she was a girl cos no one was paying attention =( they managed to close my uterus over retained placenta so I immediately got severe temps.my blood pressure dropped so low straight away the anesthetist took six goes getting a drip in.it turned out I had a placenta accreta..rare..but we didn't know til I almost died!!in my situation MOST women are rushed o surgery for an emergency hysterectomy and that is why the anesthetis was there prepping me for surgery..had I not had so many hands trying to stop the bleeding I would have been in big trouble plus with a hysterectomy an abulance wait and ride away I would have been a goner.scary to think!but I'm alive and was incredibly lucky to have one more baby!!

I had my first baby at home. I also live 5 mins away from hossy and was in no way worried about not getting seen in time if something went wrong. It was amazing, peaceful and relaxed and my oh got to be really involved and afterwards I had a brew and a piece of marmite on toast just how I wanted it!
Dont panic about getting it booked in till you see the mw anyway as I've been told hb arn't booked till 36 wks anyway here. Still I'd mention it on the next visit so she makes a note that you've mentioned it.

I am hopefully having a homebirth for my first.
I see no reason why first-timers shouldnt have homebirths, if they have had a low-risk pregnancy throughout.
However, if you are only doing it because you dont want to stay in hospital overnight without your OH, you could always have a hospital birth, and then go home 6 hours later (as long as you and baby are both OK).
But I wouldnt worry about it this early, as they dont book you in for a homebirth til you are 36 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->