First day of autism screening

shirlls

Reaction score
Yesterday was my son's first day of autism screening and I feel exhausted and so tense.

My son is nearly 3 and a half and gross developmental delay. He didn't sit unaided until he was a year and a half old, and only started walking 5 months ago. His speech is also coming on fast and is now starting to hold short sentence conversations with us. The last 6 months to a year has seen amazing progress, the fastest I've ever seen him progress as this time last year he wasn't walking or talking and we didn't know if he ever would.

Whether or not he has autism can't even be guessed at until we get results of the screening. He is showing some red flags for autism, such as hand flapping (only when excited), putting his hands to his ears at loud noises and won't tolerate loud places like the cinema or swimming pool at times (but will at other times), loves things going round and lining up his toy cars. However he has excellent communication skills, smiles at us all the time, has good eye contact and loves playing with his baby sisters (I have 13 month old twins).

I am very nervous about it all and while if he does get a diagnosis of autism, obviously I'll be upset and worried for him, but it will just be good to know for sure so we can take things from there and know what we are dealing with. However, until the result I am holding on to a bit of hope that he isn't autistic and I know this is only going to make it worse if he is diagnosed.

I hope I haven't offended anyone here, I only mean that like many mothers I would prefer the result of the screening to come back as him not being autistic and this not knowing is killing me as I just want to know either way.

Hi! I hear you. DD2 is turning 2 this Friday and we have our first meeting next tuesday (we decided to go private since public system has a 2 year long waiting list!! As opposed to one week for the initial meeting in a private clinic! !!) She sometimes won't respond to her name and seems in her "own little world " but is also totally fine other times. She is super cuddly, smiles at us, points, takes us if She needs help to get something and plays like a "typical " child. She has no developpemental delays at all. But we just have a sneaky suspicion and want to tackle this sooner than later (in the meantime she can be put on the public list) i'm hoping tests come back normal but at least we'll know!

Hi! I hear you. DD2 is turning 2 this Friday and we have our first meeting next tuesday (we decided to go private since public system has a 2 year long waiting list!! As opposed to one week for the initial meeting in a private clinic! !!) She sometimes won't respond to her name and seems in her "own little world " but is also totally fine other times. She is super cuddly, smiles at us, points, takes us if She needs help to get something and plays like a "typical " child. She has no developpemental delays at all. But we just have a sneaky suspicion and want to tackle this sooner than later (in the meantime she can be put on the public list) i'm hoping tests come back normal but at least we'll know!

Good luck with your assessment, let me know how your daughter gets on. I know what you mean about just wanting to know, sometimes not knowing is the worst as you hold on to some hope but don't know if it is false hope or justified hope.

I understand too. My ds has finished his assessments and we are waiting on the results and diagnosis. I could have written your post myself. Good luck to you and your ds, whatever the outcome and hope it directs you all to the support you need! xxx

Thought I'd give an update. Meeting went really well!! And the neuropsychologist really doesn't think DD2 is autistic in any shape of form. She told us to keep an eye on her and come back if we are worried, but for now the only thing she sees is her hearing being compromised; I see her doctor next week so we'll check this. She might need speech therapy but not before the summer and my insurance will pay a good part of it!

Thought I'd give an update. Meeting went really well!! And the neuropsychologist really doesn't think DD2 is autistic in any shape of form. She told us to keep an eye on her and come back if we are worried, but for now the only thing she sees is her hearing being compromised; I see her doctor next week so we'll check this. She might need speech therapy but not before the summer and my insurance will pay a good part of it!

That's fantastic your meeting went well and they don't think she is autistic :thumbup: . I bet you will be so relieved and also glad it is over! All the best!

I understand too. My ds has finished his assessments and we are waiting on the results and diagnosis. I could have written your post myself. Good luck to you and your ds, whatever the outcome and hope it directs you all to the support you need! xxx

Thanks x . Good luck for your child's assessments, I hope they go well and please keep me updated on how you get on x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->