First doctor's visit in the US - what to expect?

Amalee

Expecting #2!
Reaction score
Could anyone give me some insight into what to expect at the first US doctor's visit? I'm going for a scan at about 9 weeks, and then the first appointment with a nurse (which they said would take about an hour) is at 10 weeks, then my appointment with a doctor will follow right after.

Also, is there anything I should do to prep for the appointments?

Normally, you will be weighed and your blood pressure will be taken. They may take blood to check levels. Ask some questions about your health and ask if you have questions for them. You will most likely give a urine sample amd some doctors even do a pelvic exam.

they'll take your weight and blood pressure, and then do a urine test. They will also take your blood and confirm pregnancy that way as well.

Thank you!

It turns out I'm probably not going to have insurance until January... I'm going to work on it and see if I can get temporary coverage from the state. Right now my appointment is set for Dec 12th, which as I said will be when I'm about 10 weeks along, so if I can't get coverage by then, think it would be a huge issue to just get blood work done to make sure I have good hcg levels? Then reschedule everything else for a few weeks later when I won't have to pay out of pocket?

Thank you!

It turns out I'm probably not going to have insurance until January... I'm going to work on it and see if I can get temporary coverage from the state. Right now my appointment is set for Dec 12th, which as I said will be when I'm about 10 weeks along, so if I can't get coverage by then, think it would be a huge issue to just get blood work done to make sure I have good hcg levels? Then reschedule everything else for a few weeks later when I won't have to pay out of pocket?

I don't know where you live, but in my are you can go to the hospital and have a blood pregnancy test done for around $20. It might be worth looking into, since I'm sure if you go to the dr.'s office for a blood test they will charge you up the butt!

Yeah, I figured that's what I'd do if I can't get insurance - either the hospital or a walk-in clinic/lab place. You don't think it'll be a big deal to wait on the other tests until I'm a couple weeks further along?

Yeah, I figured that's what I'd do if I can't get insurance - either the hospital or a walk-in clinic/lab place. You don't think it'll be a big deal to wait on the other tests until I'm a couple weeks further along?

I don't think so, i know they like to see you around 8 weeks, but with this pregnancy i didn't even find out until i was nearly 12. I'm sure you would be fine. I'm not sure what else they check your blood for.... i know they take a ton at the first appointment, but waiting probably wouldn't hurt anything.

Maybe you could call and ask them what their payment policy is like...Or let them know about your situation and see what they have to say about it. I'm just thinking back to when i went and i didn't even actually have to pay a co-pay or anything for the first visit. After that first visit they contacted my insurance and figured out how much i was going to have to pay and then sent me a letter in the mail saying how much i was responsible for and broken down into monthly payments how much it would be each month. I assume they do the same for people who have no insurance.

I am in the U.S. At my first appointment I was asked a lot of questions about my family and medical history, any previous pregnancies, births, allergies, etc. I was also weighed, had my blood pressure taken, pap smear, pelvic exam, breast exam, and blood taken for all of the necessary tests.

Thanks Luz and Srrme. I called about the 8 week scan, and like you said Luz, they won't charge me while I'm there. They said they'll wait and charge until January and it'll be charge to our insurance company :)

The ultra sound should be enough to confirm a healthy pregnancy, so assuming that goes well, I'll hold off on the other appointments until January if I would need to pay up front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->