First midwife appointment worries

Baby_Byth3way

Reaction score
Hello ladies
I'm just wondering if you can help me, I've got my first midwife appointment on Wednesday (26th) and I'm not sure what to expect or what will happen etc. she reckons I'm 10 weeks but I know I can't be that far along as I ovulated around the 12th July. My lmp was 23rd June but I have pcos on a 33-36 day cycle. In my calculations that makes me around 7 and a half weeks ish.

Can anyone give me an idea what will happen at this appointment and what I need to take etc.

Thank you ladies

Lauren xx

Hi Lauren,

If it's anything like here, it will last between one and two hours. Over here they weigh you and measure your height and also take bloods for various tests they need to do. Other than that there was no physical examination at either of my booking appointments - though I've heard others have had their midwife palpate their uterus to see if they can feel it yet. The rest of the time is spent answering questions (of which there are lots!!!) all about your medical history, your partner's, and both your families - so if he's not going with you, maybe ask him before about any medical issues his family might have. Don't be surprised if they ask some questions to gauge whether you're in a supportive relationship, they have to ask these questions of all women. You'll also get given your pregnancy notes that you always take to every appointment thereafter (and are meant to carry everywhere too, but I never did!) and a sheaf of information and booklets, and also your first bounty pack, which is a pack of free samples. You'll get several over the course of pregnancy and when you have the baby.

As for your dates, you might get lucky and have a midwife who listens. They'll most likely write it in your notes somewhere, but I think it depends on the individual if they change your EDD because of it. I've known lots of people who know exactly when they ovulated be ignored and get given a very different due date that was then changed to what they thought after the scan. I'm worried this will happen to me, as I know I ovulated on CD25 and I don't want to be given a scan date when I'm between 9 and 10 weeks, which will be too early to do NT scan.

I really enjoyed my booking in appointments with my last two, made it all feel so real! Good luck and I hope you have fun.

Mine only lasted just over an hour. Took some bloods, blood pressure etc and the rest they just ask a load of questions about your medical history.

My first OB appt is Wednesday too! I'll be about 11 weeks. In the states it's pretty common to try doppler for the heart beat. I had a scan at 9 weeks and everything was great, I'm just hoping baby isn't too hidden to hear hb on doppler Wednesday. They also take vitals and urine at every appt. pretty easy and quick! Good luck!

Also, did they miscount? With a LMP of June 23, you'd be 9 weeks at the appt. (9w1d) and 8w3d with an ov date of July 12.... Or am I counting wrong? Lol. I've got bad mommy/pregnancy brains!

Hi, your similar dates to me! My first appointment is also on Wednesday but this is my third baby so I kind of know what to expect. They will do bloods, measure your weight and ask lots of q's.
My last period was June the 20th but I know I didn't O 2 weeks later as my body has been all over the shop lately. I reckon my self I'm around 7 weeks, but she'll put me probably closer to 9.
Be better when we get a scan as they pinpoint it more :)

maybe ask for a dating scan as you have irregular cycles, ive had those in the past x

Ive just had my first midwife appointment today as my one on Wednesday got cancelled and they could fit me in today.
It's all done on computers now :( Not home notes! I was quite disappointed. Shes dated me at 9 weeks 2 days.

Did blood, weighed me, measured my height, did a urine sample and asked me tons of q's. We get to register on a website that holds our noted online and we can input data there :)

I know in our trust it's still handheld notes. I've finally managed to get my boyfriend to agree to come as well he's been really worried about the whole pregnancy thing and been a bit quiet etc. but we're getting there I think.

I'm still really nervous though. Was offered a scan today at work and I turned it down. I know most people would jump at the chance but I just couldn't bring myself to do it with out him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->