First OBGYN appt @ 17/18 weeks-what to expect?

aliss

Reaction score
Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect for my first OBGYN appt at 18 weeks (well I'm still 17 but holidays sort of interrupt things) ? I have this appt today and my first real ultrasound on at 19 weeks (coming up). I know this is late compared to the UK & USA ladies but in Canada I guess our system works a little slow!

My OH isn't coming (he's at work), does that matter? Should he still be there? There's no ultrasound at this one, I'm sure.

If it's your first appointment for this pregnancy ever then they'll take your medical history, take blood if they already haven't, maybe a pap smear, listen to heartbeat, and that's about it. OBGYN appointments are usually only a few minutes long (first one can be about an hour long if you see a educator though). The standard OBGYN appointment is asking if you have any questions and checking the heartbeat, your weight and blood pressure, sometimes your urine (but not all check the urine). Having your OH there is up to you. My DH comes with me, but we see a Midwife and her appointments are an hour long.

Thanks so much :) I had some blood taken and a pap smear at my regular doctor @ 12 weeks but he doesn't deliver babies so I've been "handed off" to this one! I'm looking forward to the heartbeat :)

I saw my OB for the first time at 17 weeks. They weighed me, took my BP, she listened to the HB with a doppler, and made sure I had gotten all the tests I needed. She gave me paperwork and set me up for the 20 week ultrasound. I got a lot of packets and welcome paperwork to take home and read, and then some Q/A.

My OH didn't come and I'm glad he didn't take time off to go... it was a very straightforward appointment. There are more important dates for me (ultrasounds) that he took off for and enjoyed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->