first party invite. help please

DCS

Reaction score
DS got his first partying invite today. He REALY wants to go. It's a 40 minute bus ride away, at a soft play area.
I have a few questions.
Would it be odd if me and OH went with him and took dd along? I thought since dd has never been we could pay for her to use the baby area and OH could stay with dd and I could stay with DS, and switch if dd wanted milk.
Oh would not be comfortable taking ds aline as he isn't a big talker and would just feel awkward. I know the mum and have spoken to her a few times but wouldn't Want to leave dd incase she got upset. She is still Breast feeding but cutting 5 teeth so gets a bit sad and only I will do.
Secondly, would one of us be expected to stay with DS? Not a problem if we are in fact would be better since the journeys quite long.
Thirdly, what do I buy the boy? Is there an unwritten rule on how much to spend? I know he is into superheroes.

Sorry, we have never been invited to a party before that wasn't family so j have no idea.

It wouldn't be odd at all. I often have some of my tribe in tow lol, occasionally DH will come too but not if he can help it!
The kids don't reLky need much looking after in my experience they all just run off and play and when it comes to food time I just check they actually have food on their plate. I find it a nice time to catch up with other mums as dads too.
We usually spend around £10 n tbh I usually put money in if I don't know the child well, that way the parents can pick something he doesn't already have or put it with other money for something bigger.

In my experience (of only 3 parties):
I do not see any problem with taking DD with you. I have seen this before, (although I do not know whether the parents paid for teh baby)
I would definitely stay with DS there
I usually buy something of £5-10max, but that's me

:flower:

I think it's fine for parents to attend and stay. I'll be having a party for DD during half term and expect the parent(s) to stay, at this age I think it's required. Not sure on boys presents though but £10 sounds right. And it should be fine for you to take DD too as I'm sure the baby area hasn't been closed for the party and you'll be paying for it.

I don't see any issue with taking your DD. What I usually do is text and say is it OK if..... And it's always been fine. Iv never left my 5 year old alone at a party yet. Iv left the room but stayed in the vicinity and a few mums stay and some go.most parents do what they are comfortable with. As for what to buy I have a £10 rule lol I usually always buy something crafty or if I really know the mum I will ask what the child would like x

It would be fine taking your daughter I would say.

I would definitely stay, have always stayed at the parties Louis has been to.

I spend up to £10.

It would be absolutely fine for you to take your DD. At all parties I've been too, people have bought siblings, then at soft play etc just paid for the sibling to go in. Most parties have so much extra food the siblings end up joining the party. The more the merrier I say!

I have had one invite that specified no siblings, but it's a sports party at a field and it says they can't be catered for, which is fair enough!

There is one mum in bens glass who has a boy a year older and she always brings him (fair enough!) but never tells anyone, so 2 hall parties I've been too, where the food has been organised into lunch boxes, and there were none spare, it was a mad dash to find good for the extra child!! So in a hall type party I would always check first.

Budget wise I try to stick to £5-£10. Usually I get 2 for £15 from argos and just keep generic superhero/doll gifts in a bag to use for the next party!!

Thanks ladies. I'm really excited. Probably more than ds. Since OH will be busy with dd I'm going to push myself to talk to the other parents. I'm so awkward in these situations.

I always text or ask at the school if it would be okay to bring my other girls along, and nobody has ever had a problem with it.

I spend up to £10 on a present.

I still stay at parties with Paige, because a) I always take Ella so cant leave her and b) I dont drive so by the time I got home I would have to leave again.

We were at a party today, and have one tomorrow and one next weekend... Im sick of parties! Lol

for a party at soft play i would definitely stay, so long as you pay for your daughter - we had 3 or 4 people bring siblings alongwithout saying anything and we assumed they had paid at the door for them but we ended up getting charged for them which seriously peed me off as we had invited the whole class of 25 plus friends and family so an extra £40 was the last thing we needed. (It was a joint party so I was only liable for half but still when you are forking out hundreds it is really annoying when people can't pay £4/£5 at the door for a sibling)

ETA I budget £10 for a birthday so either present or tenner in card

For a first party i would expect parents to stay - i think you'll find that the rules of the soft play are x number of children per adult anyway so if all the parents dropped their kids and when and just the birthday childs parents were there then there wouldn't be enough supervising adults.

I would say to the parents that you are going to stay with DD but will pay for her - if i was feeling super nice then i'd probably offer to pay for DD but that would depend on how many children i'd already had to pay for.

Present wise - i usually spend between £5 and £10. I try to grab bargains when i see them. If he's into super heroes then there is loads of stuff out there - try WHSmiths or Waterstones as i picked up some good books that were reduced from those places - they also have pencil cases etc there. Also my son bought a packet of superhero Top Trumps from Waterstones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->