First pregnancy - don't know what I'm doing.

YorkiePoo2010

Reaction score
I'm 9 weeks and 2 days pregnant, and my first appointment is monday. I have a couple questions for moms and moms to be! First off, on my account of my hospital it says I'm having a 3d ultrasound Monday and I'll be 9 weeks and 4 days then. Why would I need a 3d ultrasound this soon? Also, when do I start buying rhe necessities for the baby? I feel like I could shop for it all but obviously can't without knowing the gender. But should I start buying neutral necessities like car seat and crib now? And another question- my belly is a little bit noticeably bigger but I haven't actually gained any weight. Is this normal and when should I start gaining weight? Thank you in advance! <3

Congrats on your pregnancy! The type of ultrasound you get will depend on the hospital and doctor. It's ok either way. I wouldn't start buying things yet. You have plenty of time. Wait until you know the gender and then take your time to shop around for deals and exactly what you want. Not gaining weight is perfectly normal especially in first pregnancies. I wore my jeans until 7 months with my first. Second and beyond pregnancies you may show a little sooner. As long as the doctor says baby is growing and you feel like you're eating enough you're fine :) just relax and enjoy the ride

Ur stomache Is currently growing due to bloating (the "Blump" aka "bloat bump") that's why it's not causing weight gain. The doctors will suggest u start gaining in ur second trimester. In the first u really shouldn't gain more than 4 or 5 lbs total. I'm not sure why they're doing a 3d scan, at 9 weeks it will look more like a gummy bear than a human baby... U won't be able to see facial features or hands or feet or anything. But if thats what they wanna do, I'm sure they have a reason. In terms of buying things already, that's really a personal choice. For me personally I consider it bad luck to buy things in the first trimester (there is a 20% miscarriage rate in the first trimester-- plus u don't know the gender yet). I Also wouldn't announce until the first tri is over- but again that's a personal choice. I had a miscarriage at 8 weeks last time around so that experience informs a lot of the decisions I make about this pregnancy.

If you want to start buying a few things then go for it! Just keep tags on and keep receipts in case you need to return it. I assume that even if you miscarry you will try again, so you will eventually need the stuff that you buy. It is totally possible to buy things without knowing the gender, I am due in 8 weeks and don't know the gender, but I have already bought everything I need for this baby. You don't need to stick to white/yellow/brown gender neutral stuff either, I have clothes all colours of the rainbow except for pink. There's no reason why a little girl can't wear green and blue, or why a little boy can't wear purple!

Congrats on your pregnancy!

Never to early to buy diapers, wipes, shampoos, lotions maybe even bottles! Good luck w your scan!

Never too early to start buying in my eyes! I had a miscarriage a few years ago, but that didn't stop me buying early with my daughter or this pregnancy. I celebrate every second, as that's what I feel is right.. It's a personal choice though I guess. :)

I'm unsure about the scan thing, but I hope you do get to see your baby more than you expected! Despite how developed they are, it's such a blessing to see that little heartbeating, and knowing that's your little baby in there. :)

We saved buying the big stuff until we knew the sex, but that was more down to me wanting gender bias things. X

I am getting a panorama so I can know the gender at 11 weeks. That's when I am going to make my registry. Like PPs said, that way you can watch for deals. I keep my eye out for in store registry events since they have raffles usually. You can, if you're not ashamed to bend the truth, make your due date earlier to get the completion coupon. I have one from a loss that I told them to delete my registry and they forgot. It doesn't expire until December when baby was due Sept. It's like 20% off the entire purchase. I am starting early so I can spread out my big purchases.

The bloat is real hence the belly.

Um is your doctor private practice? Might just be doctor preference to use 3D. You can get one or ask for standard. I would google or YouTube 3D scans for your gestional age and decide.

Congrats!

I have a feeling that they specify 3D ultrasound simply because they happen to have one. They will probably only use the 3D feature to give you a glimpse and do all the measurements and monitoring in the 2D mode.
As for shopping - - so fun! You definitely want to get a sense of what is out there and what you really would need and use before spending all your cash. We wait until the "viability" period (around 27 weeks) which is the date in which a fetus is likely to survive if born prematurely. Last time around we also got told the wrong gender at the 20 week scan so we were extra glad that we waited. If you haven't yet told lots of friends and family that you are expecting you also can't know if suddenly people are going to come out of the woodwork with bags of newborn clothes, and even cribs and carseats. There are certain newborn things you may only use once or twice because the baby grows so fast or maybe the weather is too hot for the warmer things. For now I would do "window shopping" and get a sense of what is out there, but I do admit it can be a very happy part of pregnancy and can't blame anyone who starts right away. If I were in the US I would go to Target which actually has decent quality Carter's onesies, etc.

i want to shop and im only 5 weeks with baby 6 so what i possibly need to buy im not quite sure but the urge to shop is sure there lol.
Gender netural stuff is always helpful you will want no end of white and cream sleeveless and short sleeve and long sleeved onesies to go under tops and dresses if you have a girl and just to layer up if you have a boy. definatly go gender netural on cribs/prams/carseats, bouncers and swings and highchairs if you want to reuse for other children but there is no rush to buy any of that yet, do your research and try out different models and makes of pram and carseat as you don't want to splash the cash to find you don't really like it after a few weeks.

I'm a first time mommy too. I went and spent 2 hours in Babies R Us. Oh lord, thats heaven, and we learned A LOT! I started my registry with gender neutrel things, stollers, car seats, bottle sterilizers, etc. Once we find out the sex, we will really fill it up. I'm telling the beginning of Decemeber so that I can have people get me gift cards for baby places, I don't want anything for me, I want stuff I will need/want for the baby!

Congrats!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->