First scan - scared

Goolia

Reaction score
Hi all. It seems like I only post on here when I am panicking about something...but I could really use some words of reassurance at the moment.

Because I am in Canada (BC) I would not normally have my first scan until around 12 weeks (barring any complications). I have a friend who works in a fertility centre, though, who has kindly arranged for me to have a scan today - I am 10 weeks and 2 days today (based on my last menstrual period).

In the first few weeks after getting my BPF, I tested a fair number of times using First Response tests, and the test line got a bit darker each time I tested - to the point where, the last time I tested, the control line was fainter than the test line.

I am very worried about my scan today, due to diminishing symptoms (not that I had very many to begin with - just slightly sore breasts), so I (stupidly) decided to get a test, assuming the test line would be as dark as previous tests.

Well, it wasn't - in fact, it was quite faint.

I know it is impossible to tell hcg levels via pregnancy tests. I know all sorts of factors can affect how dark the test line is. But I have taken multiple tests (all First Response) under a variety of conditions (first morning urine, in the evening, after drinking a lot of liquid and not drinking a lot of liquid etc etc) and the test line always got darker than the previous test. So this faint positive has really got me worried, to say the least.

I know that I will get my answer during my scan today. But the reason why I took the test was to semi-reassure myself so I wasn't in panic-mode before the scan. Now I am in extra-panic mode, ironically.

I guess I am just looking for some "good vibes" and maybe, if someone out there is as paranoid as me who has had the same experience (strong lines, then a faint one) and it turned out OK, to tell me that.

Stop taking all those tests! First of all, it depends on the type of test as well as the time of day as hcg builds up over time (why they tell you to take first thing in the morning!). Secondly, you're so stressed now! Finally, symptoms come and go -- have you had any bleeding, cramping, etc., ? then probably FINE!

I hope your scan goes well and you get some sleep tonight!

best wishes

Thanks SabrinaKat. I know I should stop taking tests....I think in the absence of symptoms, that is been my crutch a bit.

In any event, after today I will know if this is a viable pregnancy or not. I guess I was just looking for a way to stop being so scared, but there's no way to avoid that, I don't think.

Thanks again.
p.s. I have not had any bleeding, but I have had some minor cramping. So we'll see.

Im sure you will be fine. You cant go by tests or symptoms (or lack of) as there are too many factors to take into account. Try not to worry. xxx

We all go through the fears..symptoms or no symptoms. I have been 'blessed' with all day sickness and nausea since week 5 and it's still there, but I still worried about that first scan. I'm sure it will all be fine. Let us know how you get on. I am in BC too and had a dating scan at 10 weeks so you should definitely be able to see something. X

Hi all, I just thought I would update on this thread, because I know that when I read threads where ladies are concerned about various things but do not update on the outcome it makes me say to myself "Ack! What happened??"

Anyway, the scan went well! Heard the heartbeat (around 180, she said) and the measurements are on-track. So that is a big relief. Next hurdle will be the genetic testing/ultrasound I have at the end of this month.

All the best to everyone and thank you for your reassurances.

So happy for you:). Remember you are almost done with the first trimester:). And there are a lot of ladies that just don't have a lot of pregnancy symptoms. You must be one of the lucky ones:). I barely had nausea during the first trimester ( just tiredness and my breast were really sore) but them when I hit 17 weeks I got bad nausea for about a month. And then it went away.
And if you are worried about the genetic testing I would recommend you do not do the blood test. I did it and mine came back 1-94 chances of ds baby and I freaked out! But I had an amnio done at 18 weeks and my baby boy is fine:). Too many false positives on those blood tests. But if you want to do the test just aware that it can come back high chance of abnormality specially due to age, so try not to worry about it:).

Congrats on your first scan and it scarry if you've had previous problems. I'm scared at all of them but so far they have been good...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"