first stages of weaning?

hollie69

Reaction score
hello, i am a little confused to this weaning malarky haha, im not quite ready to start weaning my daughter but im looking into the process and the best way iykwim... so really am asking how you all started, what food you offered and how much and often also how does this effect in take of milk, would i offer food with, beforw or after normal milk feed.... any help much appriciated

Thanx Hollie and Baby Layla xx

I depends upon what kind of weaning you are going to do.. have you decided that yet? Do you plan to traditional wean or baby-led wean?

hello, i am a little confused to this weaning malarky haha, im not quite ready to start weaning my daughter but im looking into the process and the best way iykwim... so really am asking how you all started, what food you offered and how much and often also how does this effect in take of milk, would i offer food with, beforw or after normal milk feed.... any help much appriciated

Thanx Hollie and Baby Layla xx

I started at just over 4 months, we did do rice for a very short time as she just didn't like it, then moved onto veg and fruit purees.
Once she had started to take those well I moved her onto to porridge for her breakfast too.
AT 6 months I started to give her little things to hold and eat.
The amount I gave her was basically what she would take, at first just a few mouthfulls, and gradually it increased as she got used to eating food.
To start with I gave her purees after milk, and it was over and above the milk (she was weaned early therefore was taking a lot of milk, so at the start the food was making no difference as amounts were so small)
She continued to take the same amount of milk for some time, probably it was until 5.5mths that she started to eat a decent amount of food and therefore she naturally dropped her milk intake.

She is now 11 months old, she is only on 2 meals a day plus what ever milk she wants, which is at least 3 bottles, sometimes 4.

I have always done breakfast mid morning like 11am and lunch in the afternoon 3pm, so her feeding looks like this

9am wakes up, milk
11am porridge
1pm a bottle (doesn't always want it)
3pm lunch and pudding
6pm bottle
8-9pm bottle and bed

Some people have suggested her 5-6pm bottle be replaced with a meal, but right now I prefer to keep her on that amount of milk - she does eat a fairly large breakfast & lunch, from what I have read of others routines she has much more for breakfast & lunch than some babies over 1...

Hope our experience helps in some way :)

We started on baby rice at about 5 months. Would have left it longer but he obviously wanted to start eating. It was literally offering him a spoonful to begin with in the middle of his bottle (so he's had enough that he's not really really hungry, but not totally finished it). He didn't really like baby rice though, but he lovess meat and vegetables so don't be disheartened if the very early foods don't go down too well.

Just to add the other side -- I did BLWing, so my LO has never gotten purees or baby cereals. But you don't BLW until 6 months old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->