First time breastfeeding when to express

susiewusie

mummy of 2 little monster
Reaction score
My LO is just over 3 weeks old and i have been breastfeeding exclusively. He seems to be taking to it well as weighed the same as birth weight by day 5 (8lb 14oz). He weighed 9lb 12 oz by 2 weeks. However when he latches on he doesn't take a lot of latching never has but recently has started making clicking noises. Also seems to struggle to keep up with flow, coughs and gasps.
Seems to be getting lots of air causing painful gas. He doesn't seem to empty the breast either :( breast feel bruised when touched.
Just wondering on peoples experiences as i bottle fed my older two so all new to this.
I was thinking about starting to express, is it too soon?

Sounds like he could be tongue tied? Has he been assessed for it? They don't necessarily have to be struggling with weight gain my DD put on 2lbs in a month with a severe tie but it caused me a lot of pain and gave her wind and a permanent milk/dribble rash beard where she couldn't seal properly. The lower half of her face and would be red and soaked with milk after every feed. If you haven't already get him assesed, my DD had hers cut about 10 days after seeing the lactation consultant and it was an instant fix for her

How do i go about getting him assessed? Sounds like him constantly soaked after feeding x

As pp said get checked for tongue tie by your health visitor/dr as its a possibility.
The other possibility is that you have an over supply or fast let down and thats why hes coughing, gasping etc. Do you feel this could be the case as there are feeding positions you can use to help such as feeding laying back slightly to reduce the flow, or on your side so an excess trickles out if babes mouth without him choking. You could also express a little off before each feed and this will enable to latch on much better. Sounds like youre doing an amazing job though well done! :)

How do i go about getting him assessed? Sounds like him constantly soaked after feeding x
I can't see where you live on my phone, in my area of the UK there are drop in breastfeeding support groups with trained volunteers and lactation consultants that you can visit. Or like the PP has said ask your health visitor or doctor how you can contact or be referred to a lactation consultant. It was my health visitor that told me about the support group at the 10 day check

Clicking is apparently a massive sign of tongue tie so definitely get it checked. Hugs!!

Clicking is apparently a massive sign of tongue tie so definitely get it checked. Hugs!!

Yes it is and but also not necessarily. It just means baby isn't always getting an effective vacuum. This is common in babies with Tongue Tie but also babies who pull back in response to strong milk ejection also as they then aren't in the best position to make a seal or are deliberately breaking suction to stop the milk from flowing as forcefully in to their mouth.

Laid back feeding positions can help with both issues while you wait to get a tongue tie consultation. Some babies have immediate fix from getting tongue snipped but if there are other things happening a TT snip doesn't always help.

If your boobs are not being drained then expressing may be necessary for your health, however it could increase milk production too which might increase gas problems. Alternatively trying to get baby to drink much more frequently may help with letdown (not so much milk to pour out) may ease any engorgement you have between feeds.

It's really hard to say without seeing a feed. Do you have any counsellors or support groups near?

Thank you for your replies everyone, health visitor came out to see me and said he is a lazy eater, didnt really think there was anything wrong apart from that. He is gaining weight nicely weighing 11lb 11oz at 5 weeks +4. We still have the clicking but I'm trying new positions to see if that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->