First time Mom- Need diaper help

redcherry28

Reaction score
Good morning ladies,

my question may sound stupid to some people but I have to ask as I want to start shopping.

I am in my 2nd tri and wants to start shopping for diapers but don't know where to start from? So many choices, brands and sizes.
My questions are

1. What size is good for new borns? How many diapers do you stock in advance?
2. What brand is preferred?
3. Do you stock up next size as well?

My main question is what size is good for average size newborn baby.

Any help or advise on diapers or shopping for newborns would be appreciated.

Thank you

Im going with reusable nappies. Ive bought 5 and liners and will be purchasing another 5 or more before Im due. I bought them from Ebay brand new. The fit birth to potty and are adjustable with poppers.
If youre using disposables, the best thing to do is research as much as you can and have a couple of brands in mind then look at the pros and cons.
x

the should have a new baby size which is good for the first few weeks....but I wouldn't get loads of them. As far as brand it kind of depends on the baby? I wouldn't stock up on loads and loads of one certain brand because you mind find that certain brands leak for certain babies. I swear by pampers now but in the beginning poo always came out the side and the only brand that worked was huggies. And don't be afraid to try the store brand ones because quite often they are just as good and if not better than the name brands and it's always nice to save a bit of money:)

So to answer your question a few packages of new baby in maybe a few brands might be a good place to start till you find what works for you:)

I was told to aim for 3 boxes of the first three sizes you'll need. For disposable diapers obviously :thumbup: That being said, Go by how big your baby is measuring because he or she may go straight into size 1 diapers :thumbup:

First off, dont go crazy with the nappies right now. Its impossible to know what will suit your baby before they are here, some babies need pampers, some huggies and some will be fine with supermarket own brand! My advice is to get 1 pack of a few leading brands in size one and no more than 4 packs. Once you have tried them and know what suits baby best you can buy more. There is nothing worse than being stuck with 500 nappies you cant use, trust me! xx

I used resueable for a while too and really like the thought of doing such a good thing for the enviornment....and it lasted about 3 months but nobody else...daddy, nanny (me) could get used to fiddlilng with the poop lol I hated that part. I wish I could be less lazy about it because they are so great and save so much money!

the should have a new baby size which is good for the first few weeks....but I wouldn't get loads of them. As far as brand it kind of depends on the baby? I wouldn't stock up on loads and loads of one certain brand because you mind find that certain brands leak for certain babies. I swear by pampers now but in the beginning poo always came out the side and the only brand that worked was huggies. And don't be afraid to try the store brand ones because quite often they are just as good and if not better than the name brands and it's always nice to save a bit of money:)

So to answer your question a few packages of new baby in maybe a few brands might be a good place to start till you find what works for you:)

Hi,
When you say for few weeks? how many weeks? I heard new born needs 8-10 diapers a day which equals to 250-300 diapers for first 4 weeks.
I thought people stock up on diapers, isn't that true?

Hi,
When you say for few weeks? how many weeks? I heard new born needs 8-10 diapers a day which equals to 250-300 diapers for first 4 weeks.
I thought people stock up on diapers, isn't that true?

they do and they usually get bitten in the ass later on :haha: xxx

Disposable nappies come in newborn size and then up from there.

My personal fave is huggies - but as Kermie said - certain brands fit better on certain babies. I used to use pampers and then they started to leak at night. I think that it was how my DD likes to sleep.

If I was you I would buy one pack of pampers and one pack of huggies (or other brands you may see) both in newborn. Then see which you generally prefer when the baby is born. You WILL get through them all so dont worry about waste.

If you look on the websites for certain nappies you can order a sample (or you could years ago).

If you are going down the reusable nappies I havent got a clue! I only know that my friend tried SO hard to use them and they didnt work for her due to various issues such as leaks and carrying liners about the place. She gave up in the end and switched to disposable.

It is fun choosing things like this though

Hope you find what you get along with.

xx

I think someone awhile back suggested instead of stocking up on months worth of diapers, to start a diaper fund now and put in X amount per week so that once baby is here and you know the right size and have decided which diaper works best for baby you can stock up then :thumbup:

yeah if your going for disposibles work out what the price of a weeks worth will be averaging 8-12 a day for the first month then 6-8 a day for the next 3 months , and set the money aside rather than buying them all at the start.

if your going reusable best to get specific newborn size ones as they make allowances for skinny newborn legs that normal onesize or btp's dont and id opt for a 2 part system of nappy and wrap rather than an all-in-one or pocket style as these are more likely to leak on a newborn if you cant get the fit right. check out the natural parenting boards for more help with cloth nappies too

For the first 2-3 months a baby will go through on average 10 diapers and after that slowly the numbers per day will begin to go down when at about 6 months will only require about half of that. Out of 10 neices and nephews all have been on huggies diapers with no issues. They tried pampers and luvs and some of the other cheaper ones and always came up with leaks or accidents. So I plan on going with huggies. For a newborn you will need a newborn size unless you have a jumbo baby, and they should stay in that size for the first month at least before moving up. I see that you are in the US, so did want to let you know that both Cosco and Sam's have large boxes for very cheap. I just bought 300 huggies newborn diapers from Sam's for only $40, also the wipes are super cheap too can get about 1500 of them for only $20. And believe me those wipes you go through MUCH faster than diapers cause you will find you will use them for everything and not just diaper changing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->