first time new mummies-to-be tips :)

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Club' started by hawalkden, Nov 17, 2011.

1. hawalkden

hawalkden Well-Known Member

Well I thought I'd give a bit of mini advice for first time mummies and about what to expect in the first few weeks regarding yourself and well-being.

I had my Peanut – Isaac Ivor 5 weeks early – 35 week baby - on 5th November. He's doing well and was 6lb 14! He should home for the weekend hopefully. He didn't want to miss the Bonfire Celebrations! He is still in NICU at the moment which is hard to leave him.

The things I wasn't told off my midwife or any pregnancy/baby books prior to labour was the following (I think it's because he was early and I was meant to have at my 36 weeks midwife appointment the whole birth plan, after birth care etc talk!).

- I had stitches due to 2nd degree tearing due to the emergency forceps so once I was up and about the midwife didn't warn me about the huge swelling and numbing pain I'd have..

- I was in hospital for a full week and my stitches and bruising were checked every day and they said they were healing very well. When I went to go to the toilet I felt like I was about 80 years old. My bladder just opened up so fast I just got to the toilet in time.

- Then trying to open my bowels. I fear it still every time. Whilst in hospital (sorry TMI) it was like rabbit droppings and pebbles which helped a lot since coming home they are like tree logs! Which are painful. I stay in the bathroom for about 30 minutes and just let it happen when it happens.
    (sorry TMI again) but when you wipe front or back and have stitches or feel swollen still you don't know where anything is. So best it clean best as you can but have warm baths which helped me clean the area better and a sponge is miles softer then the toilet roll.

- Every morning I just feel like I want to do the splits just to break my stitches! After about 3-4 days it's like a hedgehog has been waiting to just stick onto your moo moo and no matter what you do, sit, walk or stand you feel the prickles for a few days 24/7.

- This one for me is the worse feeling every. Day Three after labour even if you are at home in hospital or where ever. I just cried all day and the midwife said it's third day blues. I suppose it didn't help because Isaac was in NICU and it was the first time I'd seen him with all the tubes, drips and in the incubator and UV Lamp. So that made me cry more, but when I was back on the ward I just cried all day and night. OH was trying to comfort me but it didn't help! Was very overwhelming. I just thought of everything, bills, the house needs cleaning, my cat! The labour, how OH felt. It was just a burst of hormones and emotions coming out of me, but I did get a good nights sleep! :).

- My breasts!!!!!!!!! Ouch!!!!!!! they are very very painful at the moment. I was nearly diagnosed with mastitis the other day due to my breasts being so big and filling with milk fast. I was expressing on the hospital pump (which I wish wasn't £500 or I'd buy one!) I was only on for 10 minutes and getting 120ml off them. So least Isaac has enough milk supply. When I was in the bath I just use to use both my hands to get extra milk out. When I'm on the pump at home or hospital I can't use my hand so OH massages the pea like lump just near my armpit to get the 'sour' milk as the midwife say mastitis is just a blocked milk duct and if left gets infected. I also whilst Isaac is still in NICU I just drain my breasts of milk in the morning and just before we go back home so it takes them longer to fill up so I only need to express at around 2am.

- Also regarding breastfeeding/expressing. I decided to express and feed Isaac via bottle just because when I tried him on the breast my other breast would soak my breast pad, bra and top! It got me very frustrating and with him being in NICU I'd be soaked all day so using the double pump I was getting the milk out at the same time. When I'm at home I've got an avent electric pump and a manual Tommee Tippee one so it takes 40 minutes each breast. I'm looking into hiring out a hospital pump when Isaac comes home. The milk leaking and mess frustrates me very much.

- The bleeding too from your moo moo. I had a lot of clots straight away when I was being stitches but once I was moving around to and from NICU – Ward it felt like I was Niagara Falls! Just the flow was very heavy. Not painful only time I had 'period pains' was when I was on the breast pump but they have stopped now. So I was doubling up on maternity pads when I wore them!

I don't want to scare you new mummies to be :). Just pre warning you before your LO's arrive and you don't freak out with what you didn't think you'd expect :). Hope some of the tips will help. I know every mummy is different but just incase etc :)

Good luck with your new bundles of joy :) :D :) XoX

2. BeachyBronzer

Great tips thanks so much for sharing!

Congrats on your little bundle of joy :)

3. fairy3853

fairy3853 Well-Known Member

forwarned is forharmed. Thanks for this hun. Hope your little one comes home soon xx

4. LilMissHappy

LilMissHappy Well-Known Member

thank you for sharing. its good to have people like you who dont sugar coat things. and i hope you get your little boy home soon. xx

5. SabrinaKat

SabrinaKat Delighted Mum to Finn

Yikes! I've changed my mind - maybe I'll get another cat instead!

best wishes

6. hawalkden

hawalkden Well-Known Member

Isaac is home now :). I wanted to know the points I told you all. Not all like 'Littlemisshappy' said. Sugar Coated :)!

7. j3ss

j3ss Well-Known Member

Thanks for scaring the crap outta me hehe! :) It's good to know, though. I'm so
    glad that despite everything you and your baby are healthy and doing well.

8. 5-a-side

5-a-side Well-Known Member

Glad your LO is home with you now. Hope you are all doing well.
    It is good to read a true account, but also good to remember that everyone is different (as not to frighten anyone)