First Time Preggers, question about care in Scotland.

Goods

Reaction score
Hi All

I'm a first timer and have just informed my Doctors today that I'm preggers. They got me to fill out a form and said I'll get a letter in the post with my first midwife appointment. Can anyone from Scotland tell me what's going to happen at appoint and afterwards?

Thanks

At the appointment they will take down your medical history, and fathers if possible, work out your due date and refer you for a dating scan, at approx 10-13 weeks. You'll normally get that date in the post too, depending on how your area works.

At the appointment they will take down your medical history, and fathers if possible, work out your due date and refer you for a dating scan, at approx 10-13 weeks. You'll normally get that date in the post too, depending on how your area works.

Thanks. I was hoping for a sneaky scan. Lol. They seem to do loads of stuff at first meeting in the states.

Where in Scotland are you?

Hey, I'm in Inverness and they do it a bit different up here. I'm having my booking appointment in two parts for some reason. I just had to make an appointment to see the midwife at my gp surgery. I've only had the first part of my appointment so far, but they've just taken history and they will refer me for my scan between 11 and 14 weeks at my next appointment on Friday. Unfortunately you don't get any scans earlier unless you have any problems or you pay privately.

Where abouts do you live?

That's so frustrating. Is this your first too? I'm tempted to go for a private scan but hubby is putting a dampner on it. Grr!!!

I'm in Hamilton. Xx

Yea, this is my first too. I'm thinking if I don't get my scan by 12 weeks I'll pay for a private one, cos I've booked a week off work so I can go tell the family (cos they live 3 hours away near Stirling) so I'd love to take a scan pic with me to show them. Some clinics are quite expensive, but I managed to find a place in Perth that's really reasonable - and it's on my way home :), so there must be more reasonably priced places out there.

I actually have an early NHS scan tomorrow cos I had a little bleed last week, so I'm nervous but excited. It will be great to see baby. I just hope everything's ok.

It's strange that we don't get half the monitoring some people seem to get. We will never know our hcg level for example! If all goes well we only get 2 scans- at 12 and 20 weeks and about 11 midwife appointments where they will test our pee and measure our bumps. Not nearly as exciting!

I know, I was reading a few posts getting all excited until I realised they were in the states. So not fair!

I found one near me for £90 but they're offering a 50% discount at the mo. So tempted.

How far along did you day you are? I'm on my phone and don't know how to go back and check. Duh!

Yea, this is my first too. I'm thinking if I don't get my scan by 12 weeks I'll pay for a private one, cos I've booked a week off work so I can go tell the family (cos they live 3 hours away near Stirling) so I'd love to take a scan pic with me to show them. Some clinics are quite expensive, but I managed to find a place in Perth that's really reasonable - and it's on my way home :), so there must be more reasonably priced places out there.

I actually have an early NHS scan tomorrow cos I had a little bleed last week, so I'm nervous but excited. It will be great to see baby. I just hope everything's ok.

It's strange that we don't get half the monitoring some people seem to get. We will never know our hcg level for example! If all goes well we only get 2 scans- at 12 and 20 weeks and about 11 midwife appointments where they will test our pee and measure our bumps. Not nearly as exciting!

Ah, you're 8 weeks, just 3 ahead off me. That's a great time to get an early scan as you'll def hear the heartbeat and everything. I'm sure it'll all be fine, it seems so be fairly normal though I'm sure terrifying!

Hey mrs, if the clinic you mean is abc4d in motherwell they are really good. I had an early scan there 2 weeks ago and they were really good. The quality was fantastic...much better than my 12 week scan with my wee girl. Have my nhs 12 wk scan on wednesday so itll be interesting to compare x

Ooh that's a really good price. Whys your OH not so keen?

I'm 8w4d today so I'm hoping we'll get a decent pic from the scan today. And we should definitely see a heartbeat so we'll know for sure one way or the other. Will let you know how I get on.

i'm in moray, the booking appointment was paperwork, blood pressure and blood tests (blood type, STD panel etc). i wasn't given a specific due date due to irregular periods (that was worked out at the dating scan). they don't ask for a pee sample to confirm with their own eyes a positive result (which i thought was odd), they won't attempt to listen for the HB even after 9w and you don't get an early scan for confirmation unless you think you might be miscarrying (in which case they scan to confirm that more than anything).

it feels very much like "here's your paperwork, see you at 12w and we'll see if you're still pregnant then." :/

i didn't get my scan until 13+1 - there may be congestion issues or staffing issues that delay your scan, or mean it has to be slightly earlier than usual, so don't panic if your scan isn't booked for bang on 12w, but i'd chase them up if you don't get a letter by 10w esp if you're still working and need to give X days notice for appointments etc.

if you are consultant led due to prior history, they will usually see you at the scan appt, and then the appointments you get will be pretty evenly split between midwife and consultant.

best of luck!

Thanks. I was hoping for a sneaky scan. Lol. They seem to do loads of stuff at first meeting in the states.

Where in Scotland are you?

They do - it's completely different, but I'm assuming more expensive? :shrug: i am pretty clueless about the states system!

I'm in Edinburgh.

Ooh that's a really good price. Whys your OH not so keen?

I'm 8w4d today so I'm hoping we'll get a decent pic from the scan today. And we should definitely see a heartbeat so we'll know for sure one way or the other. Will let you know how I get on.

Let's just say hubby wasn't as keen to give up his freedom and start a family yet. I finally managed to persuade him let me stop the pill, it only took 4 cycles to catch, 3 NTNP and one where I started using OPKs. We were both thinking it would take a good 6-12 months. Lol.

Hey mrs, if the clinic you mean is abc4d in motherwell they are really good. I had an early scan there 2 weeks ago and they were really good. The quality was fantastic...much better than my 12 week scan with my wee girl. Have my nhs 12 wk scan on wednesday so itll be interesting to compare x

Ohh. Post a pic. Xx

I know, I was reading a few posts getting all excited until I realised they were in the states. So not fair!

I found one near me for £90 but they're offering a 50% discount at the mo. So tempted.

How far along did you day you are? I'm on my phone and don't know how to go back and check. Duh!

Hi just wanted to pop in and say I live in Glasgow and I've booked a private scan with babyscanning on Ingram street in Glasgow merchant city for only £39 when I'm 9 weeks. U should look in to that x

Hi Goods, I'm just up the road in Carfin. I used the Baby Wellbeing in Hamilton (across from Hamilton West train station) The girls that run it also work at Wishaw General and they're lovely albeit pricey for an early scan. I can't fault the care I had and I was high risk due to IVF & diabetes. I think you'll be at Wishaw being in Hamilton.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->