First timer considering home waterbirth - am I mad?

I had a home water birth and Alex was my first baby! [My birth story is in my siggy if you want to check it out.] My reasons for a home birth were the same as yours - wanted to guarantee that I would be able to at least labour in a pool and ideally deliver there too. We decided on a home water birth at 35 weeks, so at least you've got a head start in terms of all your research etc. This forum wasn't here when I was researching, I would have learnt so much more had it been here!

Speak to your midwife as soon as you can just so she can come out to you and assess your house (just to check that in the event of an emergency, that an ambulance can get near to your house and the crew can stretcher you out - she won't be checking for tidyness and there's no need to get fresh flowers, bake bread and make fresh coffee!! :)).

At your chat with your midwife, she'll let you know what you will need to get in advance. All areas are different, and some midwives will provide more equipment than others (some may be able to hire you a pool, some will bring sheets - I had to buy my own pool, get sheets (cheap shower curtains), a torch, mirror (for checking you in the water)), so make sure you ask her what she expects you to do.

We got our pool from The Good Birth Company. We bought the Eco Birthpool in a Box (mini size). We bought the deflating & filling kit too and I think it all came to about £120? The pool takes about 2.5 times the amount of water as a bath does and with our boiler it took just over hour to fill. We have a combination boiler, so we were able to regulate the temperature of the water (it should be about 37 degrees). If you go onto the Good Birth Company's website, there's all sorts of info about how to set up your pool and things to check for.

Pain relief-wise, the midwives will be able to bring gas and air out to you should you wish to use it. I laboured with a TENS machine and used it right up until I got in the pool to deliver Alex. Don't know what I would have done without it!! Perhaps you could ask your midwife if your hospital hires them out if you don't want to buy one?

I attended pregancy yoga and felt that all the relaxation techniques during my classes really helped me to have an open mind for the birth - I feel it's all mind over matter. You could also get yourself a Hynobirthing CD - I used one for the last 4 weeks of pregnancy so can recommend that too.

My own experience was virtually text book: baby born on due date, no complications, relatively quick labour, coped well enough with the TENS with no need for gas and air. I would definitely do it all over again as it was so lovely to be in the comfort of my own house. The best bit was announcing the sex of the baby and knowing that I was the first person to touch/hold Alex was an amazing experience in itself. xx

when i get round to having my 2nd baby (2012 hopefully) i would love to go for a home birth! As long as it isnt a prem labour again! I had such an easy labor 3hrs 16mims established. 50mins of pushing, but that was because he wasnt engaged and was still travelling down. Second should be quicker and the hospital is 45mins away! So go for it if its what you want! I wish id done it with my first. Xxx

You sound like you're in the same position as me (though at almost 37wks I've not left myself a long time to think about it!!). My OH is very, very 'for it' and I'm going to speak to my MW about it tomorrow. My Eco Birth Pool and Tens machine arrived yesterday so looks like we're going to go for it! Should be able to say more in a few weeks!! Eeeeeeeek!!

she won't be checking for tidyness and there's no need to get fresh flowers, bake bread and make fresh coffee!! :)).

:rofl: I had to giggle at this sentence!! My midwife visited at 8wks and I was frantically cleaning and tidying. I don't know what I must've been thinking but I remember pulling out all the appliances etc to clean clean clean!! te he

:laundry::dishes::iron::hangwashing: (finally found a use for those fabby smilies!!)

From day one of my pregnancy, I told myself that I was going to have a home birth-a water birth- or just a natural birth in a birthing center. I so badly want the most natural birth possible. Mind you-this is my first baby as well. Whenever I told anybody about just even being in a HOSPITAL and giving birth without drugs, they told me that I was crazy. I got told "not with your first-god no" and "yeah, you just wait, you'll be asking for drugs." I personally know that it is possible to make it through labor and delivery without drugs or medical intervention if it is not necessary. However, due to my location I have discovered there are no birthing centers within an hours drive, and there are not many midwifes within a short distance, we might have to deliver in a hospital. I do not think it is crazy at all to want a water birth. What I think is crazy is people who DON'T want a natural birth with their first child, because only once will you be able to experience your first child birth, and you should experience it fully. :kiss:

We are planning a home water birth too, my DH is like yours, very positive and supportive about it (thank god!)
In his words 'we'll be happier, more relaxed and more active' at home and to us that is the key for a successful birth.

I want a pool as I really love chilling in the bath/shower and it relaxes me and my m/w is hugely supportive of them as pain relief and to prevent tearing as well as to actually birth in.

If Boo come a little early then I'll labour at home for as long as possible before heading in to the hospital, they also have a pool that is available and I'll be planning to use that, if she comes very early (really hoping not but 4 week+ premmies do run in both families so we have to consider it) I'll do the same and head to the womens hospital where they also have a pool that I can use as pain relief.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->