First Trimester Screening - CVS Questions!

TTCfirstovr30

Reaction score
Hello Ladies - I was wondering if anyone could tell me about their experience with the first trimester screening tests (CVS) where they take the sample of the placenta to test for the abnormalities.

All I know is that I have to have a full bladder. Anything else I should be doing? Did it hurt? How long was the process? Do they go in vaginally?

I obviously have no idea what to expect.

Thanks!

I actually had to look up what this test was, I never heard of it.. Didnt want to read and run. Im having screening done on the 27th.. but its not that for sure.. its ultrasound and blood tests. Good luck

Did something unusual come up with an ultrasound or something? Just wondering as I've not heard of doing an invasive test as a screening unless other screenings have come back high risk. You can opt for non invasive screenings that are 99% accurate for testing for down syndrome and other trisomies that don't come with the risk of miscarriage....such as the MaterniT21, Harmony, Panorama. Just throwing this out there in case you didn't know.

My obgyn mentioned it and it's free to people over 40. I turn 6 weeks before I am due. I have read up on this test and I am really nervous about it. I don't think I will have it done. My other children are fine so there is no reason for us to do this instead of the normal blood test and ultra sound

Im afraid I am not much help. I have only had the amnio (one last pregnancy, then on Feb 7th one for this pregnancy). If you have any questions let me know.

CVS is like the amnio test but you just take it sooner, hence, find out sooner if there are any issues.

What was the amnio test like?

I had the NIPT bloods done and baby had normal chromosomes. I am a bit older and do have a risk of a few genetic disorders so that is probably why my doctor has asked me to get it done.

I thought it was similar. The amnio pinched but wasn't unbearable. Its so nerve wracking afterwards, making sure nothing bad happens. Lots of rest, no lifting anything heavy.
I didnt need a full bladder, they ultrasound for quite awhile, clean your belly really well then use a long needle the actual procedure takes maybe 20 seconds. The longest is the prep and they take their time. Dont drink anything sugary or caffeine so baby isnt bouncing around lol.

If it's any comfort, I don't think 33 is generally considered old enough for it to be an increased risk. Yes, your risk goes up a bit, but it's still well below a 1% chance. If your NIPT was low-risk, I'd say you're just fine, but I hope the CVS goes well and that you get some further peace of mind.

No problem!! Any questions let me know. And let us know how it goes :)

I had cvs done last year and it was not something I'm rushing back for! I found it very uncomfortable. Unfortunately I didn't not get the result I wanted.
I have opted for the harmony test this time and I'm just waiting on my results xx

Hi,
I've had two CVS tests (as my first son had SMA - we discovered my husband and I are both carriers). Both of mine were done through my tummy and took about 5mins. It depends on who you have doing it- how confident they are, how experienced etc. It's uncomfortable and not nice, but 5mins and it's done. Just close your eyes grit your teeth, breathe and before you know it it's all over. Be careful to take it easy the next two days while your body heals. They will use a local to help numb the area but you can still feel it a bit. Just keep telling yourself it doesn't take long 😉. It's nothing compared to labour, lol.

I have never heard of having a CVS just for routine screening. My understanding was a risk for genetic disorders doesn't go up till after age 36... a CVS is invassive and does include a miscarriage risk.
They can do a nuchal ultrasound at 12weeks for downs or there is always the harmony test.

So I went in Friday for the First Trimester Screening and all it was is an us. I completely worried all for nothing. CVS/amni comes afterwards if I was a high risk and all turned out great. Baby has 1 in 3400 change of having downs so I am low risk and wont be needing CVS/amnio. YEAY.

Thanks for all your comments :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->