First ultrasound :( UPDATE!

Breeelizabeth

Reaction score
It didn't go as I'd expected. By the dates of my LMP I'd be 6+2. The date I conceived (9th May) backs this up but a Transvaginal ultrasound showed a gest sac and yolk measuring 5+2 and that was it. They said to go back in 2 weeks for a follow up ultrasound.

I feel devestated. Should I be expecting a diagnosis of a blighted ovum or miscarriage?

I wouldn't expect anything for sure. Things really can vary so much at this stage. That you saw a yolk sac is great! I went in for an ultrasound at 5w6d. All they saw was an empty sac. No yolk or anything. At 11 weeks they did another ultrasound and my baby was perfect and measuring on target. I really think it can depend on the machine, the tech, and of course each individual pregnancy.

Wishing you the best of luck at your next ultrasound. :hugs:

I've always found out that it's very normal to be off by a week in the beginning of pregnancy. The fact that thy found SOMETHING I think is a good sign. Try to stay positive and we are here for you! Keep us updated.

My first ultrasound was a dating scan and it was based on my LMP, which would have put me at 6ish weeks. They saw the gestational sac and yolk sac, but no baby. I, too, was told to return in 2 weeks - and I was scheduled for 9 days later. Scan showed both sacs, baby, and heartbeat. I was dated at little over 6 weeks. Conception dates are difficult to know precisely. Ovulation could have been late or sperm could have met egg later than you knew. In these early stages even a couple of days can make a lot of difference in what you can see on an ultrasound. I know it is difficult not to worry, but if you are 5ish weeks, then seeing both sacs is normal and baby would show up on the ultrasound in another week or two. Don't lose hope!

I agree it's normal to measure behind that early! With my daughter, I measured almost a week behind at 7 weeks, had almost caught up by 9 weeks, then ended up a day ahead by 12 weeks. What they're measuring right now is tiny and it's so easy to be out on the measurements. Try not to stress out, chances are everything's going perfectly fine. It's easy to let early scans make you negative, but it's not worth upsetting yourself over, they are so often out this early and everything's perfectly normal.

Big hugs and good luck for your next scan xxxxxx :hugs:

I'm in the same boat. At 6+5 no heartbeat, going back next Monday at 8 weeks for my follow up scan. Fingers crossed for you :flower:

My experience with this didn't have a good outcome BUT when I had my early scan they didn't even see a yolk sac.. just an empty sac. I went back 2 weeks later and there was no change so I was diagnosed with a blighted ovum. But I think it's a really really good sign they saw a yolk sack! I definitely think you have a great chance of going back and seeing a healthy babe xx

I was 6+1 by my dates they put me back to 5+4 but then was back on track at next one xx

Scans can be out a week. On my OBs ultrasound machine, it even has a '+-6 days' out beside where it shows the date when baby is being measured because it's normal for the scan to be off by that much either way. After reading on here for the past 3 years, it seems to happen quite often. Good luck!

I am in the exact same situation as you. I did my scan on Tuesday which is supposed to be 6 weeks (My ovulation date was May 10th, just 1 day after you). Saw nothing but a gestational sac. My doc says it measures around 5 weeks.

I've got another appointment next wednesday to check and she's put me on progesterone for now. Fingers crossed that it works out for both of us!

I had a scan on 1st June following bleeding and she said I can't be any more than just over 5 weeks as she saw the sac with just a yolk sac. (I thought I was 6 weeks then), I am going back on Weds to see if they can see more. Don't give up just yet because just seeing the yolk sac is normal for that stage. x

Thanks ladies! I can't believe I was so silly! I just looked back through my calendar and the day I would have conceived puts me at 4+3, so for my ultrasound to be measuring 5+2 with a sac and yolk probably isn't a bad thing. Can't believe I stressed myself out so much.

Thank you all so much for you kind words and support. Still need to wait 2 weeks for an ultrasound but I'm feeling more confident than I was.

If you conceived on 9 May and your last period was 2 weeks before that (which is how they count how far along you are) then you would be around 6 weeks now. This means your scan at 5&2 would have been exactly right for dates??

https://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy-due-date-calculator

If you conceived on 9 May and your last period was 2 weeks before that (which is how they count how far along you are) then you would be around 6 weeks now. This means your scan at 5&2 would have been exactly right for dates??

Actually, from 9 May conception date, Bree's original dates of 6+2 at her scan were correct? It's 4+2 since she conceived, and 2 extra weeks since her period? Xxxxx

Actually, from 9 May conception date, Bree's original dates of 6+2 at her scan were correct? It's 4+2 since she conceived, and 2 extra weeks since her period? Xxxxx

Thank you Moom! I thought I was going crazy by that logic!

Update! Went back for my follow up u/s today. Saw a little bean with a heart beating away at 144bpm. Measuring 7 weeks, (which lines up with the dates she gave me at the original scan) so I've obviously ovulated late or something. But I feel so relieved. Thank you for all of your support xx

That's wonderful news! Congratulations xxxxxx :happydance:

That's great! Must have been pregnancy brain wth dates ) x glad you saw baby :) such a lovely sight

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->