First year cooking a christmas dinner! Tips and advice please :)

Connah'sMommy

Reaction score
We usually go to MILs for xmas dinner but this year they are away so me,OH and the boys are on our own!

OH is useless so basically its just me doing the cooking etc

Does anyone have any tips for a stress free day?!

Thanks guys!:flower:

Prep all your veg the night before makes it a lot easier, then make sure you write down all your timings will help

I agree. Prep anything you can the day before. Don't go crazy with food. And relax. Oh and don't forget to switch the oven on! Happened to me one year.

Subscribing! I have never cooked Christmas dinner before and I think we're hosting not only for us but for mine and Hubby's parents too.. And Hubby is vegetarian, my dad is pescatarian and FIL is diabetic... o_O

Definitely agree on prepping veggies the day before :) I also have a plan on when things go in the oven or need to start simmering etc... to help with keeping it all ready around the same time. We also do ham and turkey, so I have the ham all prepped for the oven the day before so it just needs warmed up with my seasonings/rub on it.

Prep everything the day before, write down timings, open a bottle of wine oooooh and i strongly recommend getting those foil baking trays to save on the washing up :thumbup:

Oh great idea on the foil baking trays and wine ;) :haha: I'm taking that advice.

preparation is the big thing
I actually really like watching all the christmas cooking shows - not so much for the recipes but for advice on when and in what order to do things.

I've done it a few times before and it does seem overwhelming but there's a big rush getting everything going and then right at the end, the rest of the time is pretty calm.

Also, even if hubby is useless in the kitchen he (and the kids depending on age) can help with things like setting the table and draining veg/putting it out/ carving the turkey.

We usually go to MILs for xmas dinner but this year they are away so me,OH and the boys are on our own!

OH is useless so basically its just me doing the cooking etc

Does anyone have any tips for a stress free day?!

Thanks guys!:flower:

I agree with the others prepare your veg the night before cut it all up and put in water in the pans ready to switch on the next day. Great tips about the foil try and of course making sure u have a wine supply! I'm thinking of going out this year never done it before, I quite like the smell of the turkey cooking and staying in etc but thinking it may be nice or a change AND no washing up!

A few people put their turkey in a slow cooker from midnight too,

I may try to brine it this year, we shall see.

We tend to have beef so that goes in slow cooker the night before.

I always do my veg the night before.

For perfect rising yorkshire puddings the oil needs to be piping hot before you add the batter - dont open the door while cooking.

I cook Turkey, beef and gammon so I cook them Christmas Eve, makes the house smell all Christmassy too! One less thing to worry about Xmas morning, I will be prepping veg Xmas eve this year too I don't usually but with my brood of kiddies and a new baby due in December too I'll need all the time I can get Xmas day lol!!
One tip I would give aswell is get goose fat for your roast potatoes! They taste amazing in goose fat, it's the only time in the year I use it lol makes Xmas potatoes all the more special

I cook Turkey, beef and gammon so I cook them Christmas Eve, makes the house smell all Christmassy too! One less thing to worry about Xmas morning, I will be prepping veg Xmas eve this year too I don't usually but with my brood of kiddies and a new baby due in December too I'll need all the time I can get Xmas day lol!!
One tip I would give aswell is get goose fat for your roast potatoes! They taste amazing in goose fat, it's the only time in the year I use it lol makes Xmas potatoes all the more special

I Was thinking of doing meat xmas eve but do you warm it through on the day in the oven?
Xx

I Was thinking of doing meat xmas eve but do you warm it through on the day in the oven?
Xx

I put my meat in Xmas morning and then take it out and wrap it in foil to let it rest, I wouldn't warm up meat really as it can make it dry and taste not so great. Time it so you take your meat out before you need the oven for roasties, yorkshires, roasted veg etc for the room in the oven. Most meat needs a good rest anyway and if you wrap in foil it stays warms for a good 2 hours

Also yes, goose fat for roasties is the best, par boil your potatoes drain and shake them in the pan to fluff up the outside of the potato, make sure your goose fat is heated in the oven before adding the potatoes too (preferably the fat should smoke slighty)

Xx

I slice it and put a plate full of the sliced meat into the grill section of my oven, no heat on in there but the heat from the oven underneath cooking roast potatoes etc will warm the meat up gently without drying it out like re cooking would, then with all the hot roasties and gravy on top it heats the meat enough anyway, I can't be doing with cooking 3 different meats Xmas day when I'm meant to be watching my children's delighted little faces as they unwrap all their presents, wouldn't miss that for the world so meat always gets done Xmas eve for me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->