Fishy Question

Tinylo

Mum to 2 boys
Reaction score
Hi girls,

A quick question which I'm really hoping someone can answer for me please......

DH is taking me out for my birthday this weekend and for some strange reason I really fancy trying Japenese food.

I've read somewhere that you're not supposed to eat prawns whilst TTC, does that go for raw fish too, sushi type raw fish....I've got no idea :confused:

If no-one knows for sure do you think I'd better steer clear, just to be on the safe side.

I've heard that you should avoid most, but not all, fish while pregnant (not sure which ones) and not sure if this applies while TTC. Honestly if it were me I'd go ahead and eat it since you are still in the TTC phase, but someone else may be able to give you more information. Good luck and I hope you have a great birthday!

I think it is okay to have sushi. I know you should stay away when pregnant - but since you are TTC'ing it should be fine....

Happy birthday when it comes!!!!! :)

Persoally I would just go ahead and eat what you want. Advice is that fish is great, but certain types like tuna should be eaten in moderation, and swordfish,marlin, shark etc should be avoided due to mercury levels. As for sushi , thats ok aslong as the fish has been flash frozen to kill off parasites. Prawns and other shellfish are fie as long as they are cooked properly. mmm sushi, enjoy :)

Thanks for the advice Vickie & SB,

Sushi here I come......I'll probably chicken out when it comes to it and end up in the chinese next door :dohh:

Thanks too for the birthday wishes :hugs:

Mmm, sushi! Lucky you!

After 14 months, I've learnt that you can't put your life on hold when ttc. Go and enjoy your birthday hun.:hugs:

I agree with Amanda

You will be fine :D

Enjoy it x

Thanks girls,

I really like the idea of sushi, just not sure of whether I've got the nerve to eat it.....

Fish is good for you, I'm only 3 months in TTC, what the heck, you've got to try most things once right... :headspin:

Thanks again :hugs:

sweetie, do what you want within reason while you're TTC....

I've been TTC for 32 months now :( managed it twice........

fish is fine TTC .

The only fish to avoid whilst pregnant are the big carniverous oens like Tuna and shark because they contain poisons such as mercury which can harm baby. (It's the big fish because of the way the posions - pollutants - accumulate up the food chain: one "grain" of posion in a small fish, a big fish then eats 50 small fish and so gains 50 grains of poisoin..we eat the big fish and get the posion.)
https://www.food.gov.uk/news/pressreleases/2003/feb/tuna_mercury
We can eat tuna, just dont overdo it. Just a little can a week maybe.

Smaller fish arent a worry. In fact fish is good for pregnant ladies - it's the omega oils. We should eat two portions a week - mackerel, trout etc.

Be wary of shellfish though - make sure it's properly cooked.

But with ttc all seafood should be fine!! I love tuna so will noly stop once I'm preggers!

Tinylo, personally there is no way I would avoid foods whilst TTC, YES if you were PG I could understand, but when you are TTC there is no reason it is going to do any harm what so ever........god knows what I was eating & drinking before my BFP, all I know is I was sensible once I got it!

So I really wouldn't worry hun, go out and enjoy yourself! :hugs:x

Great advice, thanks v much everyone.

I knew this would be the right place to ask the question and put my mind at rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->