Fluids help needed

Doodles

Reaction score
We have been giving Rhys solids in addition to his milk as he has reflux which has prevented him putting on weight. He is not sick when he has solids but we are finding it more and more difficult to get him to take any fluids. Today he has has only taken 8oz of milk which surely cant be enough fluid can it?

He doesnt appear dehydrated and is quite happy in himself during the day, but has started waking in the night for milk (every 2 hours last night) however until last week he always slept at least 9 hours at night straight through.

I've tried him on cold water, warm water, milk, baby squash. We are willing to try anything to get him hydrated and sleeping at night again. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi'ya,

Get some dirorylate. Mix up 7oz cooled boiled water with a sachet of dirorylate and mix it up with some baby rice or a rusk. He will definately eat this if he is eating solids. Even try to get bubs to drink some dirorylate on it's own.

Your baby needs more than 8oz a day and dirorylate will increase hydration.

When your baby cries does he have tears? If not then he is dehydrated. Does he do his normal amount of wees? All tell tale signs.

I would get down the docs too and see what they say. Personally i would stop weaning for a week or so and try and get bubs back to normal then try again after.

Good luck hun, hope he gets better soon:hug:

Thanks I hadn't even thought of diorylate. He's not crying real tears when he's upset and is getting more constipated, so am quite concerned. Will see give it a go tomorrow and take him to the doc if his nappy gets any drier.

Hiya.
If he's constipated, he will be refusing feeds as he's bunged up, and getting an uncomfortable tummy when he does eat. I would try an ounce of orange juice in 2 ounces of water to get him to go, and then I bet he will suddenly be starving and wolf his milk down. After that if he still has constipation troubles, add an extra ounce of water to one bottle a day, or try him with some baby juice.

Obviously, if he is really poorly... dry nappies, sunken fontanalle etc, then get him to the docs, as dehydration is dangerous and takes it's toll very quickly on little babes.

:hug:

Maybe he's not quite ready for solids, I would probably cut those out andget him back eating his formula normally again and then try solids maybe in a month or 2. Solids shouldn't replace any formula or breastmilk until closer to a year, it should just be in addition too, their main source of nutrition should be the formula or breastmilk

Thanks I hadn't even thought of diorylate. He's not crying real tears when he's upset and is getting more constipated, so am quite concerned. Will see give it a go tomorrow and take him to the doc if his nappy gets any drier.

How is Rhys today hun?

hey wendy hows things? hav you tried giving him milk at room temp and also warmer?

h x

He's better today thanks, the diorylate seems to have perked him up a bit. We are giving him solids on advice of the doctors because his reflux was so severe that he lost almost a kilo in 3 weeks, solid food it is the only thing to stop him screaming and being sick.
I have booked him in to see the doctor first thing Monday to get a once over, just to be on the safe side.

Rhys saw the doctor today and the good news is that he has put on weight. The doctor does not think he is dehydrated so suggested that we continue to wean him and add extra milk to his meals to disguise it. The doc made me feel like I was a silly first time mum who was worrying about nothing, but I guess the most important thing is that Rhys is really starting to thrive now. Thanks for all your helpful suggestions, you guys were more help than the doctor! x

Glad to hear he's better..... it's so awful when they are poorly. You just feel so helpless. It's horrible :hug:

Maybe he's not quite ready for solids, I would probably cut those out andget him back eating his formula normally again and then try solids maybe in a month or 2. Solids shouldn't replace any formula or breastmilk until closer to a year, it should just be in addition too, their main source of nutrition should be the formula or breastmilk

Jasmine has reflux as well and I can tell you that trying to get a baby with reflux to drink enough formula is very difficult. If Jasmine wasnt getting rice cereal she would also be underweight.

Do you have pedialyte over there? It is an electrolyte drink that is flavored. But with any of those you shouldnt use it alot, but encourage drinking water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->