Folic acid and folate

happynewmom1

Reaction score
So I've always heard taking folic acid is super important during pregnancy and it's in my prenatal I take every day :) I recently read folate is just as or more important to take while pregnant but isn't in most prenatals. So I bought some folate but I can't seem to find if it's ok to take both at the same time. I'm guessing so. They are apparently different from each other but important :) I just wanted to ask before taking them :)

Folate is a general term for a group of water soluble b-vitamins, and is also known as B9. Folic acid refers to the oxidized synthetic compound used in dietary supplements and food fortification, whereas folate refers to the various tetrahydrofolate derivatives naturally found in food.

Even high quality prenatal vitamins often contain folic acid instead of folate.

Folate is found naturally in foods like liver and spinach. It is also possible to find a natural supplemental form of folate that can be taken in place of folic acid.

In short terms: Folate should be taken instead of Folic Acid.

Ok thanks! I can't seem to find a prenatal vitamin that doesn't have folic acid hmmm I eat a lot of nuts and spinach which apparently do have folate.. Maybe getting it naturally would be better right now. :/

I ordered garden of life organic wholefood prenatals. They have folate instead of folic acid and they also have the required amount of iodine. I live in nz so I ordered them from a website.

I'm currently taking a 400 mcg folic acid supplement once a day in addition to the folic acid in my prenatal vitamins but yes I have heard that folate is easier to digest than folic acid. I don't know of any vitamins that don't contain it though.

I have also read about this. Pregnacare max has folate rather than folic acid in. It is rather expensive though but is usually on 3 for 2 in boots.

Ni also taken garden of life prenatals. I prefer these over any other prenatal I have taken. They're way easier for my stomach to handle as they're made with vitamins from real food and not factory made.

Garden of Life is what I take, too. They have two varieties, the organic tablet and the RAW capsule. The capsules are easier to swallow, but I guess the organic is healthier? I take the organic, though I prefer RAW. You can also buy folate separately. I don't absorb folate as well as most people. so I take an extra dose of it by itself. The absolute best folate you can get is L-5-MTHF. It is the most accessible, easily digested form available.

Links:

Garden of Life (organic)
Garden of Life RAW
L-5-MTHF Folate- You can also buy these on Amazon as chewable (lozenge) or combined with b12 (which can also help to prevent m/c and birth defects).

There are a few studies that show a connection between high folic acid intake and higher risk of colon cancer later in life, but taking folate instead seems to give you a lower risk than the average person. Just food for thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->