Folic acid

Reyrey7

Reaction score
Hello

I am taking 400pg of folic acid and today I brought an overall pregnancy vitamin which also contains folic acid. Can I take both along side eachother so I would be having 800pg of folic acid a day or can you have too much folic acid ??

Also when should you stop taking the pregnancy vitamin &/or folic acid ??

I'm 9+3 today... Cannot wait until my scan on 6th Feb just to see if my little pip is ok.

Thanks in advance.

I just take pregnacare. Last pregnancy I took it the whole time as it has lots of vitamins. Good luck with your scan x

have you ever googled the difference between folic acid and methyl folate? methyl folate is absorbed by your body straight without processing, it's the same stuff that's in foods. Folic acid requires the liver to break it down in order to be absorbed. If your liver fails to do this the unprocessed folic acid floats around in your system, it can cause cancer as it's highly reactive. It's also hard on your liver to convert high levels everyday. So last month I switched to methyl folate. I was on 5mg folic in my pregvit prenatal but I don't take the blue vit now that had the folic and just switched to methyl F.

Then, you can take as much of it as you want without worrying. Your body will flush any extra out that you don't absorb, it's a water soluble vitamin.

Exactly what 2have4kids said and here's an interesting article about folate and folic acid. After my 2 rounds of methotrexate to treat and ectopic pregnancy last summer I had to replenish my body's folate reserves quickly so we could ttc again. Methotrexate works by depleting your body of all folate so cell division isn't possible and pregnancy is termed so I really needed something effective. My RE gave me a bag full of free samples to jump start things and all of the samples had methyfolate not folic acid. I now use Dr's Best brand folate which has worked great and LO who was conceived just a few short cycles after my ectopic has a clean bill of health:thumbup:

https://wellnessmama.com/12543/folic-acid-vs-folate/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->