Folic acid?

Camlet

Mummy of 3 :)
Reaction score
Hi ladys I know they seriously recommend taking folic acid when ttc but I was just wondering how much to take as I've read although 400 mcg is the normal recommended amount it's ment to be alot better to take 800 mcg? So what do you all think? Also wondered does anybody believe that it increases fertility at all or think it's an old wifes tale? Would appreciate your answers & opinions :) xx

not sure if it affects fertility but folic acid is essential to help prevent brain and spinal cord deformitites. the recommended dose is 400 but if you are high risk it's best to consult your doctor who may suggest a higher dose.

Hi Ladies,

I'm new to this site, but to answer your question, I think its 400 mcg of folic acid too. I am however just taking a prenatal vitamin, it has 1 mg of folic acid in it, so I hope that is enough?

When I was in Canada, my family doctor recommended taking 1000 mcg or 1 mg. I started taking Pregvit in september 2010, which was a prescription based pill with a lot of other ingredients.

I was disappointed with the results and with my husband, so I stopped. I will start taking them once again if I get a positive result.

These pre-natal vitamins my doctor says should be taken atleast 6 months before you start trying.

These pre-natal vitamins my doctor says should be taken atleast 6 months before you start trying.

That's not true. They recommend taking folic acid for three months befor TTC, but in fact that's only foolproof. You only need it from when you ovulate till AF if you don't end up pregnant. But you should take it every day in case you mistake any bleeding during pregnancy for AF. Folic acid does not improve fertility, at least that hasn't been proven. As someone already said, it helps prevent spinal deformities - spina bifida. As for other vitamins - it is better to eat healthy than to take vitamin supplements. I only take folic acid 400 mg every day and will continue so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->