Folic Acid

linadee25

Ready to pop - Baby No.1!
Reaction score
Just wondered how many of you are taking folic acid "just in case"?

x

Hi

I am currently TTC and taking folic acid daily as it helps the baby to grow healthily. I was a bit sceptical myself at first as some of the ones you can buy are really expensive but I checked with my sister who is a midwife and she says that I should definately take it. You can actually buy them quite cheap, its just certain brands which are pricey.

I hope this helps.

KatCrazy

That's great Cheers! :)

Other than DTD we don't want to take any extra measures to try and get pregnant. We are being very relaxed but think I should start taking FA as it will be beneficial to a baby if we do happen to conceive!

It definately cant do any harm and you are unlikely to get enough folic acid through your diet alone.

Stay relaxed & good luck to you both! x

I'm currently taking Folic Acid and also Agnus Castus - it can't do any harm to give nature a bit of help!!

This may sound silly, but does FA actually help your chances of conception?

I started taking it yesterday as i could be in with a chance this month every thing crossed

I'm also taking it - Just because if I do get pregnant its one less things I want to worry about.. N' because getting a doctors appointment in this town is impossible so i'd more than likely make a trip; So I'm just taking prenatals

Yep ive been taking it since May. I just buy it from boots. good luck x

Folic acid doesn't help your chances of conception, but it is essential for the healthy development of the baby's spine and central nervous system. You are supposed to take folic acid before you conceive so it's not really sensible to wait until you find out you are pregnant. The essential development happens very early on in the pregnancy. Please everyone, take folic acid. There are some guidelines that suggest that all women of childbearing age should take folic acid just in case of unplanned pregnancy so if you are NTNP you should definitely be taking it. Folic acid deficiency can cause very serious problems for the baby such as spina bifida.

I am taking prenatal vitamin so that I get all the vitamins and folic acid in my system for when the time comes

I have started taking folic acid today....when i saw my doctor and told him i was planning a baby in the near future he mentioned folic acid and recomended I take it as soon as is stopped my pill (stopped my BCP on Friday)

I started taking FA as soon as I got off the BC for the reasons polaris mentioned. The research I read on the internet suggested taking FA before conception so it's already in the body, ready for when it's needed to prevent spinal cord defects. I'm waiting to take any other prenatals vitamins, but this seemed like a good one to start, even if we're NTNP.

I am taking prenatal vitamin so that I get all the vitamins and folic acid in my system for when the time comes

Hi, that's what I'm doing too.....am I correct in saying that if we are doing the Prenatal vitamins, we don't need to take Folic Acid seperately? I've been doing the vitamins since the end of May.

Yes, i started as soon as i came off the pill, its best to take it before you fall pregnant, and it wont do any harm if it takes a while to conceive.

I started taking prenatal vitamins about 4 days ago lol. Thought it would be beneficial if I did get pregant :blush:

I'm taking FA too. I found it cheap for about $3 at my grocery store. I have read a lot of information online that all women of childbearing age should take it in case they fall pregnant too. I've also read it can decrease your chances of having a miscarriage. I will do whatever I can to ensure our baby is healthy!

I brought some last week as were NTNP but to be honest i keep forgetting to take it. I really should start (going to take one now you've reminded me)

x

I got my prenatal vitamins from the Walgreens brand right after I found out about my pregnancy 5 days ago. My sister-in-law told me about it, so I grabbed my purse and drove there right away. It's kind of annoying to take 2 pills every night, but they're cheaper and I don't think they are so much more different than the other brands. The ingredients are pretty much the same.

I would def recommend it. I take 1000mg a day. =) plus a prenatal

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->