Folic acid

Andypanda6570

3 Boys and an Angel Ava
Reaction score
I have been taking it since my loss in March. I know i have read a lot that it is good to take before conceiving and up to 12 weeks into pregnancy, just wondering if all the facts about it being good is actually true and if anyone else has been taking it?

I took prenatal vitamins when I found out I was preg and they seemed to work :)

I definitely think it helps. I started taking it daily for 3 months before I conceived and the tech's can't believe just how well developed he was at 15 weeks. Well and I prayed before and after I got pregnant for my baby's development and well being. Taking it will be nothing but good for you and baby!

I've been taking it since last July, I took it during my pregnancy too. I don't think there's any doubt about it being beneficial. I take a higher dose (5mg) that has to be prescribed by my doctor because I have extra risk factors for neural tube defects (My sister has spina bifida, I have diabetes)

I have been taking it so long it is just a regular everyday thing for me to do now. The doc also said it was important the first 12 weeks when I do get pregnant and then I could stop it. Thanks everyone for answering.. :hugs::hugs:

I didn't take it very regularly with my first two, but with the last one I took it from conception onwards til week 12. Every doctor seems to say it's a good thing, and I haven't heard any negative press on it at all.

I'm taking prenatal vitamins now with folic acid in them. I'm not TTC right now, but it can't hurt. :winkwink:

I think the guidelines recommend you should take it 12 weeks prior to conception and then 12 weeks afterwards. It is definitely worthwhile and does help prevent neural tube defects like spina bifida. I am still taking my prenatals and have since I lost Emily.

It is medically proven to reduce the incidence of neural tube defects and there are no indications of and bad effects from it. it's naturally occurring in many foods as well. I was told this time that the amount in my prenatals wasn't enouggh though - very few have the recommended amount - and I was prescribed more. I was told to take 0.8mg and i know lots of ladies take higher doses than that also with no ill-effects. As far as I know the only vitamin you need to be careful of after conception is vitamin A, as high amounts can be toxic to the developing baby, most prenatals don't have any in or only low amounts. You're doing the best for you and your potential baby hon by taking your folic and/or prenatals. Best of luck, I'm really hoping you get some positive news soon xxx

My doctor told me to keep taking them. I take them everyday. I really thought it was only
While being pregnant but I guess is good to take them before getting pregnant again and after..
I have been taking it since my loss in March. I know i have read a lot that it is good to take before conceiving and up to 12 weeks into pregnancy, just wondering if all the facts about it being good is actually true and if anyone else has been taking it?

I've been taking them since before my m/c in August 2009 as every month since was hopeful, if you will. I have continued to take in this pregnancy (am now almost 20wks) as it is part of my pregnacare plus vitamins, along with extra iron...the anomaly scan last week showed everything so far, so good - e.g. spine, brain function, etc., so have to believe the doctors on this one.

best wishes

my consultant reccommended me the higher dose folic along with asprin for 36 weeks of pregnancy... hugs

Please, please take your folic acid ladies. I was on the "shop bought" folic acid for a year before conceiving and for the whole of my pregnancy - and my little girl was born with a rare form of spina bifida (spina bifida meningocele). The docs have no real idea why it happened and are currently running tests on me to see if I don't absorb folic acid properly. What we do know is that if I hadn't been on it at all, Freya's condition could have been much, much worse. As it is, we have been VERY lucky - the SB has not affected her legs at all, and we only have a 30% chance that it will have affected her bladder/bowels.

Folic acid won't stop neural tube defects completely, but it does help prevent them. xxx

I am taking 400mcg (1 pill) a day, that is the recommended/ :hugs:

In NZ they recommend 80mcg per day, I was prescribed that strength by my midwife as most of the shop-bought ones weren't high enough she said. Maybe check with your doctor though. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->