food after use by date

BellaBoo0512

Reaction score
I had my asda shopping home delivered last night and they have sent gammon that has a use by date of 19th May.. so it was 3 days out of date when they sent it! I have rang customer services and they have apologised and refunded the item.

I was just about to throw the gammon in the bin and then my husband told me not too because he wants it for his tea :wacko:

Do you reckon it will be okay for him to eat it? I know some food is okay past its use by date but I'm a bit iffy about using out of date meat :nope:

Was it one of those vacuum packed ones? If it was me I would take it out and have a little smell. I wouldn't normally eat 'used by' meat but as gammon is so salty I would be more likely to eat it.

I'm not sure if it's vacuum packed but it is in a bag. It says on the packet it's been slow cooked and to cook it it says to put in the microwave for 10 mins. I don't have a clue what gammon is supposed to smell like lol

If it doesnt look funny or smell funny then I eat it lol. What do you think people did before use by dates were put on packaging?! :lol:

If it doesnt look funny or smell funny then I eat it lol. What do you think people did before use by dates were put on packaging?! :lol:

That is true lol! I just don't want to end up with food poisoning :p

I'd still eat it. I don't even look at expiry dates on food, not been ill yet :lol:

Ahh I think I will risk it then. If I get food poisoning I know who to blame :haha:

If it smells bad dont eat.

So much food is wasted now because use by dates are taken too literally.

If it looks and smells okay then use it. They are very over-cautious on use by dates these days which means a lot is needlessly wasted.
My husbands nan uses it weeks out of date! I wouldn't after that long but I don't think a few days will matter :thumbup:

I use things a few days past expiration date if they still look/smell fine.

If its a Best by date: I will use it far beyond that date. These are usually on canned goods, or boxed goods, non-perishables. They aren't bad just because they are past the best if used by date.

If its an actual use by or expiration date, only a few days past usually, and I smell it first to make sure it still smells fine. Milk, meats, other perishable products.

I agree - if it smells alright it's fine :thumbup:

im guilty of taking use by dates literally lol :blush: but i doubt they would put a use by date on at the very latest point it can be eaten if that makes sense?

my MIL has got the strongest immune system ever! I accidentaly left left over shepards pie in the back of my fridge for 2 weeks :sick: we had a full fridge so i couldnt see it. i was about to bin it and MIL said dont bin that il have it for me tea :sick: i was like erghhh okay...? so i took her home with it and she wanted to pop into asda so she left it in the warm car for a good half hour then took her home were she dumped it on the side where it stayed til she ate it that night... i seriously thought she would get ill but she didnt

If it was in a vacuum sealed package, it should be fine.

Milk is the only thing I get really picky about. If it gets to be a few days before the date it smells off to me and I won't use it. Anything else, if it smells and looks okay, I'll still use it.

If it smells ok then I'd use it. You'll know if it's off even if you've never smelt off gammon before.
I'm very lax about use by dates-I regularly eat food (as do my oh and kids) that is passed it's use by date and we've never got food poisoning from any if it. They are a guideline only and we should use our comman sense. My mil won't touch anything that's passed it's date so consequently throws away an astonishing amount of food.

If it smells/looks OK I don't worry too much about the use by date, especially if its just a matter of a few days past it rather than a week or more.

Would you eat mince meat that's been in the freezer for 5 months even though it says to consume within a month? Just found some right at the bottom of my freezer and I'm a bit reluctant to throw it away!

Would you eat mince meat that's been in the freezer for 5 months even though it says to consume within a month? Just found some right at the bottom of my freezer and I'm a bit reluctant to throw it away!

Yeah I probably would. I'd thaw it and see how it looks. If it's all grey and manky then obviously no! x

Yes I definitely would.
We throw nothing away, I cant believe the amount of food some people bin, , shocking!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->