food after use by date

I'm one of the shockers, throw away anything I think is the smallest bit suss!

Yes I would thaw the meat and see what it's like. And if it doesn't look good I'll throw it.

We've just got those good waste bins in our area and I'm amazed at both the little I throw and the amount others do throw. I compost all my veg peelings and any veg/fruit that's gone off so obviously that accounts for some stuff. But I barely fill up one of the little biodegradable bags that they supply us with (the bin you put these bags in can take between 3 & 4 of these bags). The majority of the stuff I throw is because DD hasn't eaten it because she rarely eats a full meal.
The bins are emptied once a week and I regularly see bins on the curb that have 2 or 3 bags sitting on top if the bin which means there are 3 or 4 inside. It amazes me.

Best before im fine about, use by, nope, im afraid

Would you eat mince meat that's been in the freezer for 5 months even though it says to consume within a month? Just found some right at the bottom of my freezer and I'm a bit reluctant to throw it away!

I wouldn't, only because in my experience after that amount of time it looks awful and dehydrated and tastes like old tissues. If it looks normal then go for it :thumbup:

i actually, come to think of it, think i do follow use by dates too much...
Just yesterday i threw out about 8 yogurts as they was 3 days ood.. then i realised, yogurts are gone off milk anyway :s but i still wouldnt eat them..
frozen food, im not too fussy about, but anything fresh i am, apart from veg, if it looks fine a week after its use by date, ill still use it.
on milk it says to use after 3 days of opening, i only throw it out if it smells..

now gammon.. hmm i think if it was me i would throw it, chicken and pork im very cautious about, but beef im not..

what about eggs, would people use eggs after use by date...

tinned stuff can e used, as its full of perservatives anyway, my oHs grandad has tinned beans in the cupboard that went out of date years ago, he wont throw it bcos its still useable..

back in the day food didnt have use by dates on, and now they only do to cover the brands backs if anything did happen

i actually, come to think of it, think i do follow use by dates too much...
Just yesterday i threw out about 8 yogurts as they was 3 days ood.. then i realised, yogurts are gone off milk anyway :s but i still wouldnt eat them..
frozen food, im not too fussy about, but anything fresh i am, apart from veg, if it looks fine a week after its use by date, ill still use it.
on milk it says to use after 3 days of opening, i only throw it out if it smells..

now gammon.. hmm i think if it was me i would throw it, chicken and pork im very cautious about, but beef im not..

what about eggs, would people use eggs after use by date...

tinned stuff can e used, as its full of perservatives anyway, my oHs grandad has tinned beans in the cupboard that went out of date years ago, he wont throw it bcos its still useable..

back in the day food didnt have use by dates on, and now they only do to cover the brands backs if anything did happen

Eggs I've used like a month after the date. I just do an egg test in water to make sure they are still good. If the egg sinks to the bottom of a bowl of water and stays, its still good. If it floats to the top, the eggs are bad and need thrown out.

I'll use most things after use by dates if it's just a matter of days, I'll only not use it and throw it out if it smells or looks funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->