Food coloring in pickles???

elliot

Expecting #2
Reaction score
Anybody else have any food surprises lately?

I've been on a major pickle bender lately. Half a jar of dill pickles with lunch was becoming my norm. I never thought to read the label on the jar because I thought I knew what goes in pickles: cucucmbers, spices, vinegar, maybe some sugar.

Well, I was wrong! They all have food coloring in them... WTF?

I was feeling really guilty thinking about all the Yellow #5 and Blue #1 I was sharing with my LO. FInally found some good 'ole fashioned homemade uncolored mustard pickles at my favorite farm stand this weekend.

Added bonus: They're so puckery tart and awesome it only takes 1 or 2 to sooth my pickle-loving inner beast :)

Ha ha, I had this exact same experience a couple weeks ago! I'd been longing for some good American dill pickles so I bought some Vlasics off of Amazon. I was happily munching away when I noticed the additives! :dohh: Didn't stop me from finishing the jar, though! Strange food additives and colorings is one thing you see less of over here.

ehh, i don't buy into all that stuff about food coloring, additives, etc being so bad for you. there's a commercial on the radio about some sports drink comparing it to gatorade that has - oh no! "chemical dyes". i laugh everytime i hear it. we pay MORE to have a drink with LESS crap in it.

I don't mind a little food coloring every now and again if I'm eating something technicolor like Sour Patch Kids (yum... BTW), but who the heck needs food coloring in pickles? Just seems silly.

lol, i guess that's true, seems kind of stupid to have to put food coloring in everything. i just don't really mind it. if there are pickles that taste just the same, for the same price, and don't have food coloring then why not! otherwise, i can't be bothered. =)

omgsh now i want sour patch kids! darn you... this is not a healthy day for me! i had FOUR cupcakes, i'm sitting in front of two hot dogs, and now i want sour patch kids!:haha:

omgsh now i want sour patch kids! darn you... this is not a healthy day for me! i had FOUR cupcakes, i'm sitting in front of two hot dogs, and now i want sour patch kids!:haha:

Oh that sounds like a good day to me! A very tasty day! I'm Starved today and wishing I'd packed more food. Ate lunch at 11:30 and belly was growling for more by 1:00! Wish I had 4 cupcakes right now.

And yes... how I love those sour patch kids. OH bought me a medium bag the other day... the kind that says it has like 6 servings in it. Within 20 minutes about 2/3 of the bag was gone and he hadn't had a one! :haha: Ooops! They're just so darn addictive right now!

I was surprised the other day when I figured out that most jars of peanut butter have all kinds of crap added to them. I thought peanut butter was just peanuts, but apparently high fructose corn syrup, sugar, and hydrogenated oils are super common. Also, most bread you buy at the store has high fructose corn syrup in it too. Mmm :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->