Food poisoning or a bug?

iiTTCii

Mummy of two
Reaction score
I went to see my friend and her LO on Wednesday and she mentioned that they had just got over a sickness bug and that her LO was still having runny poos (thanks for not telling me this BEFORE we met!)
Me and DH had chicken stir fry on Friday night and when I opened the pack of chicken, I thought it smelt funny.. But I am so funny with meat and constantly checking if things are cooked etc, I thought I was imagining it.
This afternoon, I've started throwing up. I've been sick about 10 times now and can't hold water down for long. My DH is at work and he phoned a few hours ago saying he felt rough and had been sick.

Do you think it will be food poisoning or a bug? I'm hoping it's the chicken as I really don't want my LO to feel like this.

Food poisoning usually shies symptoms within 12 hours so if you ate chicken Friday night it's probably not that but then again if you saw your friend on Wednesday and they had a sickness bug I would have thought you'd have been sick befire now, the incubation period for vomiting bugs isn't generally that long donut could be unrelated to either event.

I've had food poisoning twice and on both occasions it has started 10-11 hours later. My suspicion would be the bug.

My OH had a d&v bug and got ill on the Sunday, I thought I'd escaped but came down with it late on the Friday evening and about half an hour later LO joined in!

Hope if it is a bug that your LO doesn't get it and that you feel better soon x

It sounds more like a bug to me, I think you would have known sooner with food poisoning, there does seem to be a lot of bugs doing the rounds ATM. I wouldn't say it was your friend that passed it on to you though, again I think you would have known sooner. Hope you feel better soon (keep saying soon!), the key with bugs is to just keep cleaning as it takes so few particles to get sick, especially after each "event" keep cleaning the toilet and door handle, it's less likely she would get it from you than the other way around, children pass things on easily because they obviously don't have the same hygiene knowledge as us and put everything in their mouths, you should be able to protect her from it more. Get well soon!

Edited to add: I'm not saying anyone who gets a bug doesn't have good hygiene, these bugs are incredibly easy to pass on, just saying adults generally have a better chance of escaping it from each other than children do with each other and to adults, but of course they are difficult to avoid, I always seem to get the bug no matter how hard I try!! But just trying to give you hope that it isn't inevitable that she gets it....if that makes sense!

Food poisoning usually shies symptoms within 12 hours so if you ate chicken Friday night it's probably not that but then again if you saw your friend on Wednesday and they had a sickness bug I would have thought you'd have been sick befire now, the incubation period for vomiting bugs isn't generally that long donut could be unrelated to either event.

Food poisoning caused by a toxin, yes, but if its an infection, it would be days later. Since its chicken in question, most food poisoning from chicken would be an infection from Salmonella, not a toxin given off by bacteria, so would be days later.

OP, hard to say. It could be either, food poisoning or a stomach bug. Eitehr way, sorry you guys are ill, and I hope lo doesn't get it:( that's always awful to have lo sick:(

Whenever I've had food poisoning (thankfully not that often) it's not been long after eating the food that I've been sick so it could be a bug.

Once you're able to keep water down, I recommended getting some Doriano crackers (I found them in Asda if you have one near you) and some rich tea biscuits. I had a horrible stomach bug a couple of months back and those two things were the only things I could eat for about 4 days.

I hope you're feeling better soon and that your LO hasn't picked it up!
:hugs:

Sorry hun- that's rough! My LO just got over a tummy bug from last Wed/Thurs- she was up all night pretty much. Hadn't been around anyone else that was sick- so no clue where she picked it up! Not fun though. I was up all night with her of course- but I sanitzed EVERYTHING every time she got sick- we actually just put her mattress on the bathroom floor (it's ajoined to our bedroom)- and I laid right outside on the chair so I could keep getting up with her. I'm sorry you've gotten it- if it was a bug from your friends, then symptoms usually onset within 48hrs from being exposed- past that, it's possible, but not as likely. So it could be any thing tbh. There are SO many typs of influenza (bacterial and virus)- it's really hard to know for sure. Also - if it's a bug, it can live up to 2wks (maybe more) on surfaces- so disinfect disinfect disinfect!!!! LOL

The only diff I've found (from tummy bug or food poisening)- that I can seem to account for- is that if it's a tummy bug, I only throw up. If it's more- then it's both ends (sorry for the tmi). LOL.

I would just stay out of LO's face (best you can)- wash hands OFTEN- and sanitize your house with Lysol spray (one of the few that kills influenza bug)- and then open windows- air things out- and wash all sheets/towels/blankets etc... then clean your house from top to bottom. I did all that and only LO got sick- but last time she had the tummy bug, I wasn't as diligent (she was younger though) so we ALL got it... one by one... including my MIL (a week later!)-ack.

Hope your all feeling well soon! :hugs:

Sorry hun- that's rough! My LO just got over a tummy bug from last Wed/Thurs- she was up all night pretty much. Hadn't been around anyone else that was sick- so no clue where she picked it up! Not fun though. I was up all night with her of course- but I sanitzed EVERYTHING every time she got sick- we actually just put her mattress on the bathroom floor (it's ajoined to our bedroom)- and I laid right outside on the chair so I could keep getting up with her. I'm sorry you've gotten it- and most likely I'd think it was the bug your friend had. Symptoms usually onset within 48hrs from being exposed.

The only diff I've found (from tummy bug or food poisening)- that I can seem to account for- is that if it's a tummy bug, I only throw up. If it's more- then it's both ends (sorry for the tmi). LOL.

I would just stay out of LO's face (best you can)- wash hands OFTEN- and sanitize your house with Lysol spray (one of the few that kills influenza bug)- and then open windows- air things out- and wash all sheets/towels/blankets etc... then clean your house from top to bottom. I did all that and only LO got sick- but last time she had the tummy bug, I wasn't as diligent (she was younger though) so we ALL got it... one by one... ack.

Hope your all feeling well soon! :hugs:

This. Keep everything as clean as you can to try to minimize risk, that's all you can do. I clean like a mad person when anyone gets a stomach bug, because I'm such a phobic about catching it, lol.

But also remember some bugs are contagious before being symptomatic, so if it one like that, it won't matter. You'd have likely spread it before being sick.

we had a stomach bug like that going around this past winter that the doctors said was really making the rounds, and they said it was pretty contagious in the 24-48 hours before a person actually got symptomatically sick, which was why so many people everywhere were getting it. People were out and about not knowing that had it, getting germs on everything.

Food poisoning usually shies symptoms within 12 hours so if you ate chicken Friday night it's probably not that but then again if you saw your friend on Wednesday and they had a sickness bug I would have thought you'd have been sick befire now, the incubation period for vomiting
bugs isn't generally that long donut could be unrelated to either event.

Food poisoning caused by a toxin, yes, but if its an infection, it would be days later. Since its chicken in question, most food poisoning from chicken would be an infection from Salmonella, not a toxin given off by bacteria, so would be days later.

OP, hard to say. It could be either, food poisoning or a stomach bug.
Eitehr way, sorry you guys are ill, and I hope lo doesn't get it:( that's always awful to have lo sick:(

The incubation period for salmonella is 12-72 hours with most cases showing symptoms in the first 24 hours.

Food poisoning usually shies symptoms within 12 hours so if you ate chicken Friday night it's probably not that but then again if you saw your friend on Wednesday and they had a sickness bug I would have thought you'd have been sick befire now, the incubation period for vomiting
bugs isn't generally that long donut could be unrelated to either event.

OP, hard to say. It could be either, food poisoning or a stomach bug.
Eitehr way, sorry you guys are ill, and I hope lo doesn't get it:( that's always awful to have lo sick:(

The incubation period for salmonella is 12-72 hours with most cases showing symptoms in the first 24 hours.

Sorry, I should have said "could" be days later, not "would" be. It depends on bacterial load in the piece of meat as to how soon it would affect you.

It sounds like the bug that's going round here at the moment! I would steer clear of people for a good few days just in case it is, seems to be really easily spread.
My wee girl is 10 months old and was taken to the sick kids hospital by ambulance on Thursday evening, she was vomiting so much that her body couldn't cope & she was going in & out of consciousness :(
I then caught it on Saturday (still feeling the effects of it now), and daddy is still suffering with it.

It's difficult to say tho..chicken scares me - I always over cook it to the point it's almost not edible :haha:

Hope you are all on the mend now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->