For all those active mammies out there?

StarAngel

Reaction score
When can you go back exercising after child birth provided it was a normal non complicated delivery?

My doctor has always told me to get back to it about 6 weeks postpartum, and I've had complication-free vaginal deliveries.

You can probably do some lighter stuff before then (short walks etc), provided you feel up to it. But if any type of exercise feels weird, especially in your abdomen, causes bleeding, etc - then you need to back off.

I'm not sure how/if it changes for c-section deliveries.

I've heard 6 weeks as well. A friend of mine tried to go for a run three weeks post partum and she said it felt like her insides were sloshing around and felt like they were going to fall out! I'd say that's an indication she did too much too soon!

My gf has had 4 kids and said your womb is like a giant scab trying to heal. It takes 6 weeks at least abd if you do crazy exercise other than walking and easy movements you break the scab and bleed. I'll be walking etc but no more squats, weights, & working out at the gym.

6 weeks is the norm. It takes that long for your uterus to go back to normal and you shouldn't do anything too strenuous before then.
Also, as a rule of thumb, try not to do too much exercise until you stop bleeding.
If you exercise your abdominal muscles too soon, you risk having them stay separated forever. One of my friends ended up having to have her abs stitched together 12 years after her youngest son was born, all because she exercised too much too soon.
Good luck! xx

With DD it was 6 weeks (and that was with a 3rd degree tear), and I started at 7 weeks. I started walking as soon as I got home from the hospital though just to get out of the house. :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->