For ladies with doulas, how many did you interview and when?

MindUtopia

Reaction score
So for those of you who had a doula, how many did you meet with for an initial consultation? How far along were you when you met with them? I was planning to interview them in mid to end of August (I'll be roughly 12-14 weeks by then). My friend who is a doula advised to speak with them as soon as possible (because the early support is beneficial and obviously the cost is the same whether you hire one at 14 weeks or 34 weeks). Unfortunately, I'm really busy at the moment and then traveling until 10.5 weeks, so that's about the earliest I can manage.

Also, how many did you interview before you choose the person who was right for you? I'd anticipated interviewing about 4. But when I tried to contact ones I'd found locally, they either don't have updated contact info (a bad sign), have never attended a home birth (um, I haven't either so that's obviously a must have), or I just get the idea from the tone of their emails that we wouldn't click (they seem very short with me and disinterested and it took them too long to respond, also a bad sign). So I'm now left with two that I'm actually interested in meeting with. Both sound great and I'm sure I'd click with one of them, but is that enough to get an idea of who I'll like? Should I be casting the net wider than that?

It's never too early (or late) to contact and hire a doula :thumbup:

Starting interviews at the end of first tri gives you plenty of time to think and consider your options. Interviewing a few doulas is advisable - you want to find someone that you instantly click with, and a good doula will encourage you to meet with others to make sure you find the 'best fit' for you.

That said, you don't need to be interviewing hundreds. Why not start with the two you have chosen out, and if neither of them suit, then see who else is in your area. Have you had a look at the Doula UK website? They will list all registered Doulas with 20, 30, 50 to 100 miles of you

Thanks! Yep, I did look at Doula UK, which is how I found the ones I did. I think I limited my search to within 50 miles and there weren't actually that many (and a few didn't have working websites or emails - which I take as a sign of disorganization, I'm not going to bother calling someone if they can't even keep their website up or an active email on their profile). I think you're right, I'll start with those two and if I feel like I need to broaden my search, I will. I'm usually someone who knows within about a minute if I'll get along with someone or not, so hopefully it will be obvious what the right choice is.

Good luck and let us know how you get on when you do start interviewing :hugs:

I contacted an agency, let them know what I needed specifically, and they sent me the one who they felt was best suited. I met with her in person about a month ago, we clicked, and she visited yesterday at home for the 1st home visit & I hired her.

I'm not sure what your goals are (aside from the obvious HB!) but you might try talking to an agency that can suit you with someone too.

I contacted an agency, let them know what I needed specifically, and they sent me the one who they felt was best suited. I met with her in person about a month ago, we clicked, and she visited yesterday at home for the 1st home visit & I hired her.

I'm not sure what your goals are (aside from the obvious HB!) but you might try talking to an agency that can suit you with someone too.

There are very few doula 'agencies' in the UK - think there is one or two in London but that's about it. Doula UK is the biggest organisation of doulas - although it isn't mandatory for doulas to be registered with them :thumbup:

xxx

Oh ok!! :) We have one local one here called https://www.motherwit.ca which is nice so if for whatever reason she can't show (ie. overlap of births) you still get another doula (last resort obv.)

There is actually a group of doulas near me. I don't know that you'd call them an agency, so to speak. But I had my eye on them for awhile and one of their doulas is available so I'm going to meet with her (she's 1 of 2 that I'll be interviewing). They're still quite far away (50-60 miles maybe?) but will travel to me, so that's good. That's great that you actually have agencies though in Canada! Is it a much more mainstream thing? I'm not sure there is enough demand here in most parts to really warrant it (especially where I am, which is quite rural). But like you are saying, I do like the fact that I know this one would have definite back-up and from people she knows (and I might know too if I take birthing classes or workshops with them as well).

Here in Canada, doulas are a lot less common than in the UK (because home birth is also far less common and midwifery is a new practice, only legal since 1999 in my province). So, doulas tend to work independently but tied with agencies as they are willing to travel quite far (mine lives over 1 hour away and she was the closest).

Since doulas and midwives here are so much more rare, you'll find that those who do enter the profession are quite passionate and accommodating. I know midwifery in the UK is common, whereas here, nearly all pregnancies are doctor-followed (and often 50 year old men at that!).

I went on Doula UK and contacted all the ones in my area who looked suitable. I was a bit limited because I'm using the doula access fund and not everyone will accept it.
I found a few who I liked the sound of from their websites and emails and actually only ended up meeting one. When I met her I asked questions about her own births, births she'd attended and just got a general feel for the kind of person she was and what she believed in.
Luckily we got on great, and although I've not done my antenatal stuff with her yet, she has visited me a few times and answered numerous emails.
I was 7 weeks when I started looking, and think I was about 11 weeks when I met her.

Good luck in finding the right doula for you :)

The first doula I interviewed I loved so I went with her! I didn't bother trying to interview anyone else... we met around 12 weeks but to be honest other than the occasional email we will not have much contact until after next month.

xxx

We did interviews via e-mail first (maybe 7?), to make sure our views on birth, etc, matched theirs. We interviewed our favourite from there and loved her right from the start!

I'm an ex midwife turned doula and find that about half of my clients are home births. IMO, it's much more important to find a doula that you click with and trust, regardless of experience. Doulas have their own support network and resources available to them so although they may not have had a client who has chosen a HB before, they will have access to info/support to enable them to give you the beat possible support. Don't rule out mentored doulas - these are women who have undertaken formal training and doing the mandatory mentorship, they are often experienced but need a certain number of births to fully "qualify" as a doula.

Good luck in your search! The right doula can make a massive difference to your experience of labour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->